What's new

Grammar.....

Sanako glumpf

後輩
12 Mar 2013
Hello~
Iwas just wondering if any of you could help me find a good japanese grammar dictionary or textbook to help with my grammar.
I'm 13, and i have been learning since i was 10. I am at jlpt n4 now, and for those in the uk, i have finished Gcse japanese. I know around 250 kanji and a lot more vocab but i struggle to use it often as my grammar knowledge is miniscule. I'm also learning arabic, german and urdu so i'm wondering if you know any good studying / memorising tips i could use for those languages too!
Please and thank you~! :p

A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar
I second this. It's the most important book on my shelf. The other 2 are rarely used and seem to be more like anecdotes. Also, the Basic book covers beginner, intermediate and advanced level stuff, so don't let the name throw you off.

I'm going to make a more general suggestion - you're in London, so you probably know SOAS (if you took JLPT N4, that's almost certainly where you went). You can visit their library as a "day visitor" for free - not to borrow books, just as a 'reference' visitor.

As they teach Japanese as a degree subject, there will be a good range of books you can look through (I just checked and unsurprisingly the grammar dictionaries mentioned in this thread are there). Before you buy anything, go browse and see if the level and the layout/presentation is right for you.

It's odd... I have a completely different opinion of "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" to almost everyone else. I have found the book almost completely useless. I can think of only about two cases where I have actually found an explanation of a point I was confused about. I also dislike the organisation, which is part-way between a dictionary and a grammar. Well, don't let me put you off...

Back
Top Bottom