What's new

Good Bye Friday

Pachipro

JREF Resident Alien
Rest in Peace
19 Jan 2005
In case some have been wondering, I have not been on Jref for a while now as, I had mentioned in a few previous posts, my dog and constant companion, Friday, these past 14 1/2 years has been ill. Well I am sad to say that on Friday, October 14, 2005 she was put to sleep.

A little over a month ago it was diagnosed that she had pneumonia, which with the use of antibiotics cleared it up. After a week of not eating she started to eat again and seemed to get back to her normal self. About 10 days later she again stopped eating. I took her to the vet, they conducted more tests, including a biopsy of some lumps they found, and it was discovered that she had lymphomic carcinoma that had spread throughout her body. The lymph nodes in her throat had started to swell and were pressing on her trachea making it almost impossible for her to swallow. With consultation it was decided that it was best to put her to sleep within a couple of days in order to ease her pain and suffering.

We had a couple of days to say good bye to her and we took her to the vet on Friday morning. The strange thing is that it was almost like she knew where she was going and what was going to happen to her. About an hour before we were to take her she moved by the door and lay down, almost like she anticipated leaving. When we put her in the car she perked up like there was nothing wrong with her and almost seemed happy. When we got to the vet she led the way into the vet's office. This was most strange as I usually had to pull her into the vets office and she would be all anxious and all. Not this time. She led the way in and into the examining room.

The doctor came in and explained the procedure. After we said our final good-byes, she was first injected with a sedative that put her to sleep. We moved her to the table and she was then injected with a drug that would stop her heart. Within a minute or two her heart had stopped and she had left us and was no longer in pain. The doctor then left us alone with her so we could grieve in private. I think this was the most painful thing I had ever done in my life.

We had Friday cremated and will spread her ashes around the places that she so loved to be and play and we'll keep a little for ourselves in a special place on the mantle. It almost seems kind of poetic that I found her on a Friday and she left us on a Friday. Not that it was planned or anything, it just turned out that way.

I don't know how long it will take us to get over not having her around and being by my side constantly, or the daily routines that we used to go through, but I know that I will. The cycle of life goes on and there is nothing we can do about it. I am just grateful that I had the pleasure of enjoying her companionship and the joy she brought into our lives. She will never be forgotten and there will always be a special place in our hearts for Friday.

Friday, you will be missed, but never forgotten.

Last edited:
Oh, Pachipro... I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't have a word to ease your pain. Your post made me cry, it must have been very hard for you to put those words together...

Your dog had a wonderful life having a master like you. I believe that was what Friday was thinking even at the last minute.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm very sorry to hear this pachipro....but it seems you have come to terms with it despite the pain. I hope you can get over this soon and be left only with only sweet memories and maybe just that tad of sadness that makes us human

I'm so sorry for your lost, Pachipro. I cry every time I think about the day I had to put my best buddy, Meshech, down, and he was only with me 11 years.

Grieve Not

Nor speak of me with tears,

but laugh, and talk of me

As if I were beside you...

I loved you so....

'Twas Heaven here with you.

Author: Isla Richardson

I Sure Hope So !!

If there is a heaven when I die, it will be a reunion with all the pets I've outlived. It makes it a little easier to think about my death if I tell myself I will see the animals I miss so much once more. SOOOO SORRY for you loss bud; time won't make the hurt go away, just a little easier to deal with. Think about taking another animal from the pound when you feel ready.

Frank

:( 😭

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your sad news. I've had to go through that too. It's no fun. A dog is a member of the family. The pain of losing them is incredibly real. But, as you said, life will continue and you can always look back upon the happiness she brought into your life.

Oh, I'm really sorry to read your post, Pachipro.... Really there's nothing I can say except just... yeah... thinking of you... :(

I'm very sorry Sorry sorry to hear that, Pachipro... I'm thinking about you and Friday... Such lovely pictures... a very very nice friend he must have been.. T_T

That's so sad Pachipro. But I know you will be OK as you have so many happy memories of Friday to cherish. :)

Losing a pet can be as painful as losing another member of the family :unsure:
I love dogs and think "Man's best friend" is a good way to subscribe how they are.They can make you feel happy when you feel down, and make a sad face when you scold them.I'm sorry to hear about her passing away, it always makes me feel sad when seeing a dog or any other animal for that matter suffer.I hope if there is an afterlife you'll meet her again one day :)

Pararousia said:
Grieve Not

Nor speak of me with tears,

but laugh, and talk of me

As if I were beside you...

I loved you so....

'Twas Heaven here with you.

Author: Isla Richardson

Thank you all so much for your kind replies and thoughts. They are most welcome and are more than I ever expected. You really are a great group, each and every one of you, and I am glad to have come to know you all and to make your aquaintance. It really does feel like family in here.

All is not lost though as I have adopted my late brothers dog, Tammy, when my mother, who was caring for her after he passed, returned home last month. Therefore, our daily routine is somewhat the same and, instead of two dogs to care for, there is only one. Now she can receive our full attention as she probably felt somewhat like a "neglected stepchild" when Friday became ill shortly after she joined our family.

In another day or so and I will be back to my normal self posting my crazy ideas, experiences, and opinions.

Back
Top Bottom