What's new

Getting my medications prescribed for longer than the allowed period

PatPaul

後輩
19 Dec 2015
Hello Everyone,
I have a question about the length of time Japanese doctors are allowed by law to write prescriptions. In Kagawa-ken, where I live, my psychiatrist can write me only 30-day prescriptions for my medication for a mood disorder/anxiety; whereas, the doctors I see for my thyroid condition and enlarge prostate, can write 3-month prescriptions. These two doctors sometime as I do some blood/urine tests. I am Canadian and plan to visit British Columbia in January 2020 for 4-5 months, so I would to try and get my prescriptions filled to last me the duration of my stay in Canada. Are there clinics in the Osaka or Tokyo area where I could get this done?

Thank You,

PatPaul

I take heart medicine, always in 30 day packs. When I go abroad, I've gotten extended prescriptions, but not 4-5 months worth.

I can imagine many reasons they wouldn't want to give out that much at a time,

How are you going to get travel insurance for 4 to 5 months?
Also, AIU is the most famous travel insurance, but... you might run into some qualification difficulty. A few insurances out there may cover you , so you'll have to check around.

Based on what my doctor has explained about prescribing pharmaceutical drugs, its down to what they are, how strong they are and how long the health insurance system will permit him to prescribe them, this can mean that while he may be able to prescribe 30 days this month, he may have to change to a different drug to prescribe more next month.

Basically the Health Insurance system sets limits on what can and cannot be prescribed due to costs etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom