What's new

Getting around in Tokyo or Kyoto..

adllewis

後輩
13 Jan 2007
So Ive got my JR pass for the two weeks that Im in Japan, but Im a little confused on how easy it will be to get around Tokyo and Kyoto . One time I thought there was just like a single loop that kinda went around central Tokyo that was JR owned, but the another place I found makes it look like theres many JR lines that go around Tokyo? Which ones true?

If its the only the one JR line, is there some kind of subway pass that I can get while Im there? Kinda like what you can get in London for the tube?

Also, Im a little confused on how easy, or uneasy, it is to get around Kyoto?

So Ive got my JR pass for the two weeks that Im in Japan, but Im a little confused on how easy it will be to get around Tokyo and Kyoto. One time I thought there was just like a single loop that kinda went around central Tokyo that was JR owned, but the another place I found makes it look like theres many JR lines that go around Tokyo? Which ones true?
If its the only the one JR line, is there some kind of subway pass that I can get while Im there? Kinda like what you can get in London for the tube?
Also, Im a little confused on how easy, or uneasy, it is to get around Kyoto?

The Yamanote Line circles around central Tokyo and there's a line that cuts across the middle (Sobu) that are JR lines and Railpass-friendly. There are other JR trains in Tokyo: Chuo, Joban, Tohoku, Keiya and Noda.

The subways are non-JR. Get yourself a good train/subway map. JNTO has them.

Awesome. Thanks for that.

So in Tokyo I can use my JR pass on the Yamanote, Chuo, Joban, Tohoku, Keiya, and Noda lines?

Is there some kind of pass you can get for the rest of the subways around the city?

Also what about getting around in Kyoto? Easy? Hard? JR lines? No JR lines?

Sorry for all the trouble. Im trying to look up a lot of stuff ant once and getting overwhelmed.

Awesome. Thanks for that.

So in Tokyo I can use my JR pass on the Yamanote, Chuo, Joban, Tohoku, Keiya, and Noda lines?

Is there some kind of pass you can get for the rest of the subways around the city?

Also what about getting around in Kyoto? Easy? Hard? JR lines? No JR lines?

Sorry for all the trouble. Im trying to look up a lot of stuff ant once and getting overwhelmed.

Well it looks like I can get 1 day "open tickets" for 710 yen which allows unlimited use of the Tokyo Metro system. Sounds good enough to me. Still working on the Kyoto one.

I know of four main lines in Kyoto, and none are JR that I'm aware of. They are the subway Karasuma line (地下鉄烏丸線), the subway To(u)zai line (地下鉄東西線), the Keihan line (京阪), and the Hankyu(u) line (阪急). Also, there are buses that go where the trains don't, particularly Ginkaku-ji and the surrounding area (Philosopher's Path, Chion-in, and I think Kiyomizu-dera is in that general vicinity).

Hi

check out this link for the trains in Tokyo
Access and Transportation

as already stated, you can use your rail pass on the JR operated overland trains. Of these I found the Chuo/Sobu and Yamanote lines the most useful, but I was staying in Jimbocho. If you scroll down the webpage you will see a list of the main JR lines and links to more detail on them. I'd study this well as you may find that you can get to many of the places you want to using just the JR lines + bit of walking (and save buying a pass for the subway).

The Yamanote Line circles around central Tokyo and there's a line that cuts across the middle (Sobu) that are JR lines and Railpass-friendly. There are other JR trains in Tokyo: Chuo, Joban, Tohoku, Keiya and Noda.
The subways are non-JR. Get yourself a good train/subway map. JNTO has them.
I've never heard of Keiya and Noda but definately keep a map close by at all times. There are at least 35-40 JR lines that run through and around Tokyo.

I've never heard of Keiya and Noda but definately keep a map close by at all times. There are at least 35-40 JR lines that run through and around Tokyo.

I have a handy-dandy Tokyo map at my desk at work. That's where I located the names of the JR trains.

Check out PASMO card for Tokyo: can be used on all subways and private train lines, ( and JR lines too but you won't need it for JR trains as you can use your JR Pass for that): will be invaluable for subways in Tokyo

Back
Top Bottom