What's new

GENKI I、 第11課の練習、I

21 Jun 2017
Hi, can someone check on my answers, please?

259頁、(I)B. Ask if your partner wants to do the things above. When you answer, give reasons [using から]. (I of course just answered them myself, lacking a partner.)

1. 湖に行きたいですか。
いいえ、行きたくないです。天気はさむいですから。

2. 日本語を練習したいですか。
はい、練習したいです。まだ下手ですから。

3. 温泉に行きたいですか。
いいえ、温泉に行きたくないです。あついですから。

4. ゆっくり休みたいですか。
いいえ、ゆっくり休みたくないです。日本語を練習したいですから。

5. 会社の社長になりたいですか。
いいえ、なりたくないです。大変なはずですから。

6. 日本に働きたいですか。
はい、いつか働きたいと思います。いつか日本に住みたいと思いますから。

7. 車を買いたいですか。
いいえ、買いたくないです。自転車の方が好きですから。

8. 日本に住みたいですか。
ええ、いつか住みたいと思います。すばらしい国だと思いますから。

9. 留学したいですか。
はい、留学したいです。おもしろいはずですから。

10. 山に登りたいですか。
いいえ、ぜんぜん登りたくないです。こわいですから。

260頁、E. Ask your partner the following questions and report the answers [using ~たがっています or ~たいと言っていました]. (I just made this up as I went along with various names.)

1. 昼ご飯になにが食べたいですか。
ティミーさんは昼ご飯に低肉を食べたがっています。

2. 何が一番買いたいですか。
スティーヴさんはゲームを一番買いたがっています。

3. どこに一番行きたいですか。
ステイシーさんはメキシコに一番行きたいと言っていました。

4. だれに一番会いたいですか。
ジェラルドさんはウォルマートの社長に一番会いたいと言っていました。

5. 何を習いたいですか。
パトリックさんは化学を習いたがっています。

6. 今週の週末、何がしたいですか。
メガンさんは今週の週末、テレビゲームをしたがっています。

7. 今、何をしたくないですか。
ジョンさんは今、働きたくないと言っていました。

8. 子供の時、何になりたかったですか。
ドナルドさんは子供の時、大統領になりたがっていました。

9. 将来、何になりたいですか。
マイクさんは将来、お金持ちになりたがっています。

10. 今学期の後、何がしたいですか。
ルイースさんは今学期の後、休みたいと言っていました。

I'm sure Toritoribe-san will give you all the great detail and correct my corrections if needed. Some quick feedback from me.
1. I don't think it's natural to say that weather is "cold." Maybe I'd say 外は寒いですから.
5. I think it would be better to say "it seems like" or "I heard that" it's tough. はず means more like it "should be." 大変そうですから.
9. Same comment for this one. おもしろそうですから。
はず I would use for things that are more factual and less subject to opinion.
ハサミはどこですか?
カウンターに置いてあるはずです。
1. I couldn't find 低肉 in the dictionary. Maybe you mean 定食?

P259
1)
As mdchachi-san pointd out, 天気は寒い sounds awkward. It's also OK just 寒いですから.

3)
温泉に行きたくないです。 is not wrong, but 温泉に行きたくないです。 sounds more natural since it's common that there are other places where you want to go. Thus, this は is the contrastive marker, and therefore this rule often applies also to other negative sentences.

6)
A article is wrong in the question.
思います can be correct in the first sentence of the answer since it can be interpreted that the speaker exresses thier strong will, but it should be 思っています in the second sentence. 思います is the future tense here.

8)
It's the same as #6 for 思います in the first sentence.

As for P259 #5 and #9, はず can be correct as "must", thus, if you know/understand how hard/interesting it is.

Thanks for the feedback. Lots of stuff wrong this time I see.

Full disclosure: ~そうだ is not a construction I've gotten to in a textbook yet, but I did look it up in that beginner's grammar dictionary and I think I understand it okay, so I'm going to attempt to use it.

So I'll just list corrected answers:

1. 湖に行きたいですか。
いいえ、行きたくないです。さむいですから。

3. 温泉に行きたいですか。
いいえ、温泉には行きたくないです。あついですから。

5. 会社の社長になりたいですか。
いいえ、なりたくないです。大変そうですから。

6. 日本で働きたいですか。
はい、いつか働きたいと思っています。いつか日本に住みたいと思っていますから。

8. 日本に住みたいですか。
ええ、いつか住みたいと思っています。すばらしい国だと思っていますから。

9. 留学したいですか。
はい、留学したいです。楽しそうですから。

1. 昼ご飯になにが食べたいですか。
ティミーさんは昼ご飯に鶏肉を食べたがっています。

6, 8)
Those are grammatically corect, but ~と思っています。…と思っていますから。 sounds repetitive. I would say はい、いつか働きたいと思っています。いつか日本に住みたいですから。 and ええ、いつか住みたいと思っています。すばらしい国だと思いますから。, for instance.

Ah, OK. Let me practice that a bit.

今回安い車を買いたいと思っています。あまりのりたくないですから。

次回タイ料理を食べたいと思っています。おいしい料理だと思いますから。

いつか自転車に乗りたいと思っています。ダイエットしたいですから。

来年車を買いたいと思っています。もう自転車に乗りたくないですから。

Actually, I have a bit of a question. How do I determine that ~と思います cannot be used for present tense? Does it have something to do with specific meanings of the word, or perhaps just the context within a sentence, or something else entirely?

今回安い車を買いたいと思っています。あまりのりたくないですから。
あまり乗りませんから。 is more logical.

次回タイ料理を食べたいと思っています。おいしい料理だと思いますから。
今度 or この次は is more natural than 次回.

Actually, I have a bit of a question. How do I determine that ~と思います cannot be used for present tense? Does it have something to do with specific meanings of the word, or perhaps just the context within a sentence, or something else entirely?
When expressing the speaker's will or hope ~たい/ようと思っています is used. ~たい/ようと思います basically shows that they have decided to do so right now, not "they have been thinking so".
e.g.
Q: 先方がお呼びだよ。
Our client is calling you.
A: すぐ行きたいと思います。
I'll go right now.

On the other hand, (日本は)すばらしい国だ or (タイ料理は)おいしい料理だ is not their will/hope, so 思います is common. 思っています is used to emphasize the speakers opinion in this case.

When expressing the speaker's will or hope ~たい/ようと思っています is used. ~たい/ようと思います basically shows that they have decided to do so right now, not "they have been thinking so".
e.g.
Q: 先方がお呼びだよ。
Our client is calling you.
A: すぐ行きたいと思います。
I'll go right now.

On the other hand, (日本は)すばらしい国だ or (タイ料理は)おいしい料理だ is not their will/hope, so 思います is common. 思っています is used to emphasize the speakers opinion in this case.

OK, I think I understand. Thanks!

今度 or この次は is more natural than 次回.
Ah, OK. I didn't realize 今度 could be used that way. Thanks!

What about one of these two, if I was walking of a Thai restaurant with a group of friends or something? (I'd appreciate feedback on my short-form usage in the second version too; I'm not very confident in my usage of that.)

次回もタイ料理を食べたいと思っています。おいしかったんです。

次回もタイ料理を食べたいと思ってるね。おいしかったの。

あまり乗りませんから。 is more logical.
I guess that's true. I didn't even think of that. Thanks!

次回 sounds too stiff/formal. That's the problem in conversation.
I would say;
おいしかったですね。また(タイ料理を)食べたいと思います/食べようと思います/食べたいですね。
おいしかったね。また(タイ料理を)食べたいな/食べたいね/食べようね。

Back
Top Bottom