What's new

Foreigners in Japan

Tomoko

後輩
19 Mar 2002
Here's a few lines from an article in the May 28th Japan Times, English Edition:

"we must also brace against unwanted babies being conceived by foreigners who rape our women" Takayoshi Kono (Liberal Democratic Party), could barely contain himself as he expresses his excitement and delight that Japan is hosting the 2002 World Cup.

And another classic comment:
the Mayor of Yokohama says " we are preparing for the world cup, as we would for any other natural disaster, such as earthquakes".

And another:

"It would be very hard for them to stay here," she says. "We'd have to give them instructions about what to do with their shoes and how to make arrangements for the bedding and the bathroom." Hotel Owner Tokyo, on why they wont be excepting foreigners.

I was asking my students about the extremeness of all this and they mentioned that Japanese like to over prepare and if such preparation requires going to extremes it just means that they want to prevent a problem before it occurs.

I just sat there and replied ... ahhh I see ... and thought to myself that this really going overboard and will do more harm than good.

Funny thing was that TV did a report about how Korea is dealing with it's culture of eating dog meat. I wonder what foreign countries will film about Japan.

Originally posted by moyashi
Funny thing was that TV did a report about how Korea is dealing with it's culture of eating dog meat. I wonder what foreign countries will film about Japan.
Probably the usual spicy mix of soaplands, fugu, suicidal salarymen, aibo and pachinko hell.
;)

Back
Top Bottom