What's new

Foreign resident population rises above 2%

I'd like to ask a very bold question, please.

Do any of you think us human folks are going to be able to get this discrimination thing out of our lives? I guess that wasn't properly worded. I am wondering if anyone thinks discrimination will go away in their lifetimes? It won't happen in my lifetime, for sure; but how about yours --- the younger folks? Your kids' lifetimes?

I mean, there has been improvement, yes?

Wouldn't you accept that there is less discrimination than maybe 50 years ago?

Maybe comparing what we find documented from a couple of hundred years ago could have us believing that there is less discrimination now than a couple of hundred years ago?

Can we get rid of it completely?

There is less discrimination, segregation and apartheid have gone for example. It still exists, but I genuinely think it can be reduced a lot more if not completely eliminated

There is less discrimination, segregation and apartheid have gone for example. It still exists, but I genuinely think it can be reduced a lot more if not completely eliminated
I'm less optimistic (even if I have a rosier view of Japan than you!). I've read a few recent articles arguing that the current pressures on the world (extreme wealth inquality, environmental degradation) will increase authoritarianism, intolerance, and racism and segregation. The deterioration and polarisation of the political system in places like the UK and US may suggest that this is currently occuring.

I agree, we are going backwards a bit. But, it's reversible in the same way it's being fomented now. The media in particular has a key role to play by at least providing facts instead of political spin. We can't just throw our hands up and say "Oh well..." because that's just perpetuating the problem. Political advertising in the UK definitely needs regulating, hard. The US needs to get its act together with more bipartisan cooperation.

All definitely achievable though. Just think, at one point slavery was the NORM! So sad really

Back
Top Bottom