What's new

Tech Floating Pictogram Technology

News stories related to technology and innovation.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
This is pretty impressive: Murakami Corporation developed contactless interfaces using a technology called "Floating Pictograms":

Murakami globally runs mirror system business that developsand manufacturesrear-view mirrors for automobiles, and opt-electronics business that develops and manufactures optical components with thin-film technology for office automation equipment. The contactless FPT system, for which basic development has completed, is a system in which interfacecan be floated up as images in the air, so that they can be operated without directly touching the keys or operating panels by an unspecified number of people. Murakami reached the final stage of development aimed at commercialization as a solution that leads to safety, security and comfort in the era with and after the pandemic of Covid-19.

Source: https://www.murakami-kaimeido.co.jp...togramtechnologyandbeginsprovidingsamples.pdf

The technology can be utilised at ATMs, public toilets, lifts, hospitals, etc.

hologram-floating-screen-touch-coronavirus-pandemic-hygiene-murakami.jpg

Features:

① Bright and highly visible air floating image system

② Spatial sensing technology (patent pending) that narrows down the position of a finger-operated in the air using a proprietary algorithm and realizes a high-speed response that meets human senses

③ Simple system configuration that can be easily deployed for multiple product applications, depending on the size of the product to be embedded and image quality requirements

parity-mirrors.jpg

this is amazing, I want a panel so I can customize it!

just off the top of my head I want it for:
a keyless entry system
toilet/bidet control (I see that above, great idea)
control panel for an RV/tiny smart home system (electrical, thermostat, water tanks, etc)

Its cool, they will have to use visual feedback though which means that this will be unusable by blind people. Also, the loss of tactile feedback will result in some getting used to for everyone else.

The floating image idea is not new and chances are a science museum near you has one you can see. Adding the spatial sensing technology is the innovation here. Its a very cool and sci-fi setup and I totally want one but I wonder how practical it will turn out to be.

toilet/bidet control (I see that above, great idea) is an excellent use than buttons on a remote on the wall to the side (our Toto is like that) or buttons on the toilet.

toilet/bidet control (I see that above, great idea) is an excellent use than buttons on a remote on the wall to the side (our Toto is like that) or buttons on the toilet.
Touching surfaces on a toilet? What could possibly go wrong? :p

I could see Toto using this tech for sure.

Back
Top Bottom