What's new

First smartphone

Harry Gatto

Yorkshire Pudding
4 Nov 2004
I'm one of the very few people in Japan who doesn't have a smartphone though I've had various basic Docomo phones for over 20 years. However, I am going to buy a smartphone, probably an iPhone 8 as that seems to do everything I want but I'm still open to suggestions; there is a bewildering choice.
I think I have most things sussed but just need a little bit of advice:
Chat functions. Most people in Japan seems to use Line but I have some overseas contacts who use Whatsapp. Can I have both installed and are they usable concurrently?
Maps and navigation. Google maps or is there something better?
MS Office. I am a fairly heavy user on my PC but would like to transfer some files, doc, xls and ppt probably for read only. Can I do this?
Can I sync my Outlook calendar on my PC with the phone? With its native calendar or is there something better?
Email. I use Asahi Net on my PC but can I also send and receive mails from the same account on a smartphone but leave the mails on the server so that I can download them to the PC?
Finally, WiFi. Internet access is available just about everywhere but, when I'm at home, can I use my home WiFi network instead? Is the transfer to the home network automatic when in range or do I have to make the connection manually.
There may be more but any help and advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Bought my first smart phone ever 1.5 years ago. I now pay about 3200 yen a month. Ymobile has some very low monthly rates. Also don't be afraid to go with the unknowns like Ymobile. I think they are just under the umbrella with the big names, just a lot cheaper.
Wifi, yes, you use your home wifi, should be free. Ntt has the best service for phone service which includes your home computer for 500 yen a month. For us older folks its worth it when we run into trouble. That service allows them to connect into your computer and find the problems. Good for 2 home computers.

Chat functions. Most people in Japan seem to use Line but I have some overseas contacts who use Whatsapp. Can I have both installed and are they usable concurrently?

Yes, you can install both of them and activate them concurrently.

Maps and navigation. Google maps or is there something better?

I found Google Maps to be the most useful and detailed.

MS Office. I am a fairly heavy user on my PC but would like to transfer some files, doc, xls and ppt probably for read only. Can I do this?

There are apps that allow you to use Office tools, but I found them too cumbersome. Read-only poses no issues though.

Can I sync my Outlook calendar on my PC with the phone? With its native calendar or is there something better?

I'm using iOS' native calendar along with Google Calendar.

Email. I use Asahi Net on my PC but can I also send and receive mails from the same account on a smartphone but leave the mails on the server so that I can download them to the PC?

I am quite certain that this is possible. You will have to check Asahi Net's FAQ pages or call their support.

Finally, WiFi. Internet access is available just about everywhere but, when I'm at home, can I use my home WiFi network instead? Is the transfer to the home network automatic when in range or do I have to make the connection manually.

Yes, you can use your home WiFi. Once you have saved your WiFi credentials, login will be automatic.

Yes, you can install both of them and activate them concurrently.

I found Google Maps to be the most useful and detailed.

There are apps that allow you to use Office tools, but I found them too cumbersome. Read-only poses no issues though.

I'm using iOS' native calendar along with Google Calendar.

I am quite certain that this is possible. You will have to check Asahi Net's FAQ pages or call their support.

Yes, you can use your home WiFi. Once you have saved your WiFi credentials, login will be automatic.

Very many thanks for taking the trouble to reply so comprehensively.

Bought my first smart phone ever 1.5 years ago. I now pay about 3200 yen a month. Ymobile has some very low monthly rates. Also don't be afraid to go with the unknowns like Ymobile. I think they are just under the umbrella with the big names, just a lot cheaper.
Wifi, yes, you use your home wifi, should be free. Ntt has the best service for phone service which includes your home computer for 500 yen a month. For us older folks its worth it when we run into trouble. That service allows them to connect into your computer and find the problems. Good for 2 home computers.

Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom