What's new

Recommendations for smartphone models

So I am thinking that some good general advice is that if anyone is concerned with spyware, bloatware, adware etc.. the best option is to get a slightly older phone as there will be more third party options open whereas the companies are releasing new versions in part to specifically limit your third party options.

From what I have read, this includes updates.

Even rooting older phones will not satisfy the severity of concerns you've expressed. Some good general advice would be to avoid cellphones entirely if one is concerned that the software company which created Angry Birds is spying on one instead of just requiring permissions because it's part of their monetization model.

I don't mind actually paying for apps. And if we don't have the option of paying to be free of adware and bloatware, to heck with them.

The vast majority of paid apps have no ads. Adware is specifically adware because it is the monetization model which allows users to download the app for free. Virtually no developer includes ads in paid apps, though I'm sure there are some anomalies. Making adware profitable is incredibly difficult and labor intensive.

Bloatware are preinstalled apps, not apps you pay for and download. By definition it's only bloatware if it's not something you want, and no normal person intentionally buys and downloads apps they don't want.

Paid apps may tend to not have ads, but some do.

Also, I not only want to get away from ads but also unnecessary permissions. Paid apps seem to have more possibilities, but its still a minefield. AI factory gives you a choice to have Othello free with some permissions or pay and have none. That should be standard. I paid. Explicative I even just ditched a free flashlight for its permissions list and paid for one with none but camera access.

As for the distinction between bloatware and adware, my point is simply that I am paying for services and don't like being treated like a leech. I will pay to be rid of all of it and I will pay for apps that help me get rid of Google's explicative bloatware.

Google should really be ashamed. There are enough carefree people in the world they can leech off of and still make a mint without hassling people like myself who don't want to be on their grid. They are like a hyper-active and greedy kid that does not know when to stop.

Last edited:
If it is any comfort, you wouldn't have been any better off with an iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom