What's new

First Japanese Soldiers Leave For Iraq

Hachiko

後輩
17 Jan 2004
I'm shocked by this: Japan's Jiei-Tai, or Japanese Self-Defense Force, is off on its most serious operation since WWII! 😲 :cautious:

TOKYO (Reuters) - A team of Japanese soldiers left for Iraq on Friday as police, on alert for terrorist attacks, tightened security ahead of what may become Japan's riskiest overseas military mission since World War II.

Yahoo! News

IMHO, it's great that Japan is helping out in the international community, but at the possible cost of loss of life! If even one life is lost in this endeavor, it will be very bad. :rolleyes:

It will be a miricle if the Japanese troops all come home. The Iraqi insurgents have made a point of attacking every country involved in the operation. From a practical point of view, I think it make sense for Japan to do this. The country is dependant on Middle East oil, and needs US millitary might to deal with N. Korea. Still, you hate to see lives lost in an effort to win a war that should never have been started.

Originally posted by Matthew C. Perry
It will be a miricle if the Japanese troops all come home. The Iraqi insurgents have made a point of attacking every country involved in the operation. From a practical point of view, I think it make sense for Japan to do this. The country is dependant on Middle East oil, and needs US millitary might to deal with N. Korea. Still, you hate to see lives lost in an effort to win a war that should never have been started.

True.

"So we're told, this is the Golden Age,
and gold is the reason for the wars we wage..."

-U2

Back
Top Bottom