What's new

Ever have one of those weeks.

Grandpa Frank

Sempai
Admin
21 May 2003
I'm left wondering what's next? The first of the week , my brand new $700 eye glasses fell out of my pocket and I didn't notice. I ran over them , UGH. Then I noticed my old toilet was leaking. When my plumber went down cellar to see how bad the leak was , he noticed my old electric water heater had sprung a leak and needs to be replaced. this morning , after a week of very heavy rain , I had 5 inches of water in my cellar to clean up. It seems my "karma" has been taken over by the devil , LOL. Looks like I may have to call in an exorcist .

200.gif

So far all the bad weather has gone north of my home. Due to flooding in the past , everything good is stored up off the floor. I did store a bunce of empty boxes on the floor that loved to soak up the water , so cutting them up and getting them into trash is my next project. I did find a bunch of stuff I had to move has a good coating of dust , LOL. Been in my house 40 years and this is the worse year for rain. Seems like we have 5 or 6 days of showers and just one day a week of sun. As long as I can get my daily therapy of JREF time , I will survive.
200.gif

After two full days I found my van keys that I thought I had lost (I had accidentally put them away in a tool drawer instead of on the hook where they belong). I absolutely hate losing things, and I felt like I was going nuts for a whole day. That's the least of it but if I start listing my weird complaints I'll never stop.

It's always something! But if you need to reframe a disappointment, mistake or disaster, just consider that some worse misfortune may have been avoided.

Stay safe and consider getting some eyeglass keepers!

LOL , the first thing I did with my new glasses is get a keeper for them. The best part is they don't slide down my nose every 5 minutes. In my cellar clean -up , I had to move 5 old suitcases unused for 15 years(I never throw anything away). I can't believe how much they weigh even empty. I think you could run them over with an 18 wheeler and they might just get scratched. Hoping Goodwill will take them for someone with good muscles to lift them. Amazing how much dust collects when you have forced hot air heating and a cat that sheds.
200.gif

I absolutely hate losing things, and I felt like I was going nuts for a whole day.
My mother once lost her wallet somewhere after she'd been out shopping, she was going right mental, too. We knew it was in the house because it was tied to her house keys, so she had us turn the house upside down looking for it. We found it 2 months later in the freezer when we had to get a packet of meat out for dinner. I'm guessing she was on the phone while putting her groceries away and put it in there with the rest of the frozen goods xD

I had to move 5 old suitcases unused for 15 years
This is me, too. I keep everything like a bloody hamster. I do do bi-yearly cleanups where I throw a lot of stuff away (mostly original packaging and other weird boxes that I keep "in case I need to sell it" (lol as if). With time I've gotten pretty good at it, too, except for clothing. "I might wear this again" and the next time I see it will be at the next bi-annual sorting session :D

With time I've gotten pretty good at it, too, except for clothing. "I might wear this again" and the next time I see it will be at the next bi-annual sorting session :D

I consider my 5 to 10-year-old T-shirts "new". I just realized that some of my shirts must be almost 30 years old, and I still wear them, lol. The same applies to my bicycle gear. My everyday rig is 17 years old. 😅

👇 She knows everything about keeping your place tidy and minimalist:

I consider my 5 to 10-year-old T-shirts "new". I just realized that some of my shirts must be almost 30 years old, and I still wear them, lol. The same applies to my bicycle gear. My everyday rig is 17 years old. 😅

👇 She knows everything about keeping your place tidy and minimalist:

Most of my t-shirts are older than my kids. Some are definitely 20-30 years old. I don't wear t-shirts all that much so they are not getting used up quick enough.

I'm left wondering what's next? The first of the week , my brand new $700 eye glasses fell out of my pocket and I didn't notice. I ran over them , UGH. Then I noticed my old toilet was leaking. When my plumber went down cellar to see how bad the leak was , he noticed my old electric water heater had sprung a leak and needs to be replaced. this morning , after a week of very heavy rain , I had 5 inches of water in my cellar to clean up. It seems my "karma" has been taken over by the devil , LOL. Looks like I may have to call in an exorcist .

View attachment 116862
Talk about a line up of misfortunes😭 Usually when times get bad it slowly gets better (or worse but- knocks on wood I hope it gets better!).

My mother once lost her wallet somewhere after she'd been out shopping
My dad does this kind of stuff all the time. He left his driver's license in his computer printer, and then forgot about out it. Turned the house upside-down looking for it. Eventually went to the DMV to get a new license. Not long after that, I found it in his printer.
He loses his wallet and keys around the house a lot. Its not an Alzheimer's kind of thing (well, at least I hope it isn't). His mind is still good, his general memory is still good for an old guy (over 90). His health is still good. He eats well. He hasn't forgotten any of his kids' names or anything major like that. But there is definitely an age-related short-term memory impairment. Where did I put my wallet? Do you know where my glasses are? Have you seen my phone? Are my keys on the table? Did I take my pills today?
It's scary because I can see it happening to myself as I get older. Maybe they'll come up with a short-term memory-repair pill in the next 10-20 years.

It's scary for the person having these issues , at least for me it is. Going into a room and forgetting why. Telling someone the same thing and forgetting you already did. For me it seems to be concentration that is easily sidetracked. I've already got 2 buyers lined up for my gun collection when I get to the point I can't own them safely anymore. Before I get too bad , in Maine we have the option of euthanasia. The burden of dealing with a spouse whose mind is gone is not a problem I want my wife to go through. A nursing home or home care (if you can get it) can ruin you financially very fast. Most of my patients were men with dementia or Alzheimer's and it was really hard on the wife and family members.

It's scary because I can see it happening to myself as I get older. Maybe they'll come up with a short-term memory-repair pill in the next 10-20 years.
My dad is the same. He used to be fit as a fiddle but the last few years he's sort of slowed down. His reactions are slower and normal reasoning take longer. Last July, he tipped backwards in his wheelchair and hit his head really hard and had hemorrhages several places in the brain which made things worse. He's made a full recovery but goodness, is he hard to reason with sometimes. I'm hoping I'll remember his stubbornness when I'm his age and not give the nursing staff a hard time ^_^;
've already got 2 buyers lined up for my gun collection when I get to the point I can't own them safely anymore.
That's a very healthy attitude to have, Frank, more people should plan ahead like that. There's been more than a few cases where people with dementia hurt or even kill members of their families because they don't recognise them. Or they suffer from frontal lobe dementia and are aggressive towards people around them.

Having to deal with elderly parents can be a real chore. We tell ourselves they delt with us when we were kids and a pain , so we owe it to them to take care of them. When you have a job and many problems to deal with in your own life , adding the parent's problems into the equation can be really stressful. Both my parents were alcoholics with my dad spending all his money at the bars and my mom drinking herself to death. I was very lucky my sister was not working and took the brunt of dealing with them. After your parents finally die , you feel guilty for kind of being happy they are gone and less problems to deal with. Here in Maine , nursing homes can get staff and end up closing and leaving patients in the lurch. Home care is in the same boat, finding good staff is next to impossible. If you can get home care help for more than a couple hours a week , you are lucky. I think all the problems of dealing with old age here in Maine helped get the euthanasia law passed . I sometimes wonder if the movie "Soylent Green" will come true and when people reach 65 years of age , they are eliminated.

Telling someone the same thing and forgetting you already did.
Oh my lord... my father's repetition of trivia is astonishing. For example, if we drive past a certain house, he will always make the same remark. "The lady that owned that house had a real mean dog" or something to that effect (the details of this story have been changed to protect the innocent). Sometimes it will happen twice in the same day. It gets to the point where my brothers and sisters always laugh and text each other about it. And yet he can function completely well, he isn't doddering or incomprehensible, he stays on top of current events, he can manage his affairs by himself fairly well. But the repetition and misplacing things... I can see myself slipping into some of these patterns. Setting my keys down in a weird place because my hands are full with other things, and then completely forgetting where I put them. And because they are someplace I normally wouldn't put them, it becomes hard to locate them. (Like Dracuella's mother's freezer story). It doesn't happen often - but it never used to happen at all. And the repetition! This is something I want to avoid, but it seems to be an inevitable symptom of growing old.

I sometimes wonder if the movie "Soylent Green" will come true and when people reach 65 years of age , they are eliminated
Soylent Green is people! I bloody well hope not, I've held on this far and I'm not about to give up on my not too distant retirement! I do think, though, that certain things should be taken more seriously as we age. Like driving. My dad was always an excellent driver but his spacial awareness is not the same anymore and his reflexes are pretty much nonexistent. Theoretically, he could get his license renewed as long as he passes the healthcheck which, in my opinion, is mind-boggling. If anything unforeseen were to happen while he was driving, he'd never be able to react fast enough.

It doesn't happen often - but it never used to happen at all.
I'm the opposite, actually. I've always been a bit of a scatterbrain and would constantly misplace stuff. These days everything has its place and I have alarm bells going off in my head if I put something down somewhere else, "Are you QUITE sure you'll remember if you put it there? No, I didn't think so. Let's put it in its place". My brain is a nagging mother xD

My father passed away last month, and he was pretty sharp until the end. The last week or so, you had to spoon-feed new information to him, but as long as you stayed on topic and only introduced one new idea at a time, he was completely able to keep up. I'm not happy he passed away, but I am happy that I'm in a place to have been able to help out near the end and now in the aftermath.

Back
Top Bottom