What's new

Emigrants' families feel left out

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
No home: Emigrants' families feel left out of society.

Japanese emigration to North America, South America and Oceania began immediately after the start of the Meiji Era in 1868. In 1885, the government, concerned about a lack of food and jobs, started offering land and loans for those who settle abroad as part of an official project. As a result, 780,000 Japanese moved overseas before World War II. After the end of the war, 260,000 others emigrated.

But the flood of Japanese emigrants gradually became a trickle. No one has left Japan under the project since fiscal 1993.

Instead, thousands of the emigrants' descendants have come to Japan, seeking a place in what they consider their true homeland.

=> The Asahi Shimbun

Thomas,
This link doesn't work anymore and I couldn't pull up the article when doing a search on the asahi.com website. Do you happen to have a copy of the article or cite the date it came out? Thanks.

Chester

Hello there!

I wish that there anyone could help me to solve our problem about the mother of my best friend. She is a Nikkei jin. But she has a difficulty to have her visa because she is a ligitimate daughter of a japanese. She
grown older now but still have the guts to have her right to go from were her father comes from. Unfortunately, her father already died and seems no one could able to reach her.

Back
Top Bottom