What's new

Emailing my Japanese Advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanguoft

後輩
27 Dec 2014
Hi everyone,

I just received all the final documents for the MEXT scholarship and I would like to thank my advisor for all his help. I wrote a short email in Japanese but I'm afraid to induce him headaches if my sentence structure is horrible. At the same time, however, I want him to see overall what my current level of Japanese is. Could anyone have the kind heart to look over the email? Any small suggestions is welcome and wtv I can do in return I shall :)

XX教様、

お元気でいらっしゃいまでか。先年先生にMEXTについてEメールを送たトロント大学生のmy nameです。先生が連休を楽しむことができましたお願いします。

先週、国際本部国際セントに入学書類をまらいました。XX教様のおかげでこの機会をもらったからむねがいっぱいいになりました。

4月から6ヶ月間に日本語授業で日本語をすぐに上達してから先生と良く話せることと先生の案内を良く聞き取れるように気にします。この機会はPhD始める前に植民地の検察の役割についてあのトピックの色々な面を良く分かれいることに重要だとおもいますけど先生の仕事を邪魔しないようにしさせていた炊きます。私の研究を必ずと言ってもいいほど成功することに気にしようにしています。

もう 大変お世話になりました。4月にあいさつする。どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

XXX signature

Thanks so much guys!

Hi everyone,

I just received all the final documents for the MEXT scholarship and I would like to thank my advisor for all his help. I wrote a short email in Japanese but I'm afraid to induce him headaches if my sentence structure is horrible. At the same time, however, I want him to see overall what my current level of Japanese is. Could anyone have the kind heart to look over the email? Any small suggestions is welcome and wtv I can do in return I shall :)

XX教様、

お元気でいらっしゃいまでか。先年先生にMEXTについてEメールを送たトロント大学生のmy nameです。先生が連休を楽しむことができましたお願いします。

先週、国際本部国際セントに入学書類をまらいました。XX教様のおかげでこの機会をもらったからむねがいっぱいいになりました。

4月から6ヶ月間に日本語授業で日本語をすぐに上達してから先生と良く話せることと先生の案内を良く聞き取れるように気にします。この機会はPhD始める前に植民地の検察の役割についてあのトピックの色々な面を良く分かれいることに重要だとおもいますけど先生の仕事を邪魔しないようにしさせていた炊きます。私の研究を必ずと言ってもいいほど成功することに気にしようにしています。

もう 大変お世話になりました。4月にあいさつする。どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

XXX signature

Thanks so much guys!

There's no way to say this without sounding like a total a**hole, but that looks like you just pulled words and phrases out of dictionary and stuck them together. Just write him in simple English.

Ahh damn I see. No worries --_--
We usually speak in Korean since he doesn't speak English...I'll ask a friend to help me haha
Thanks ^^

Have you actually started studying Japanese yet?

Yes, but it's been passive learning and definitely that was my first email in Japanese. In anycase I don't agree with you it's that horrible but it surely needs some revamping. No worries, someone more helpful has come with an offer to help.

Yes, but it's been passive learning and definitely that was my first email in Japanese. In anycase I don't agree with you it's that horrible but it surely needs some revamping. No worries, someone more helpful has come with an offer to help.

It isn't that it is unfixable; it is that if the purpose is to give your advisor an idea of your Japanese ability it requires such extensive reworking that to fix it would be to perpetrate a fraud.

It isn't that it is unfixable; it is that if the purpose is to give your advisor an idea of your Japanese ability it requires such extensive reworking that to fix it would be to perpetrate a fraud.

It's just a polite email to my advisor who knows I come to Japanese with minimum Japanese language background. My Japanese friend is helping me and he disagrees with you and said he can fix it while keeping it close to the original. Topic closed.

I feel like I stepped into the Twilight Zone.

I never said it couldn't be fixed or that it couldn't be kept close to the original. Do you not remember saying yourself:

I want him to see overall what my current level of Japanese is.

Your grasp of grammar, sentence structure, etc is so demonstrably close to zero that it is impossible to fix the text consistent with YOUR OWN STATED AIM.

If that meant nothing and all you wanted was somebody to fix your mess, you should have just said so. At any rate, to so casually flip-flop and twist things to suit yourself displays an appalling lack of integrity.

I feel like I stepped into the Twilight Zone.

I never said it couldn't be fixed or that it couldn't be kept close to the original. Do you not remember saying yourself:

Your grasp of grammar, sentence structure, etc is so demonstrably close to zero that it is impossible to fix the text consistent with YOUR OWN STATED AIM.

If that meant nothing and all you wanted was somebody to fix your mess, you should have just said so. At any rate, to so casually flip-flop and twist things to suit yourself displays an appalling lack of integrity.

Now you do sound like quite the jerk.
As for my alleged "lack of integrity," this professor is a good acquaintance and he know I am in the process of learning Japanese. There is nothing wrong about asking a friend to help me with writing formal Japanese when I have no experience doing so. It's about being polite to this professor in a Thank You note. The revised version is similar to the last - easy sentence structure, no difficult words - but it simply sounds more natural. This professor will nonetheless see that I kept it simple for a lack of ability to write better. If that, for you, is a lack of integrity, then perhaps you should stop writing 10,000+ messages on forums and go learn a bit about life.

At the end of the day, your distorded opinion doesn't change the fact that I'll be doing research at the University of Tokyo for two years all paid, where I'll be able to improve my "sub-par" grasp of grammar, sentence structure, etc. In the meantime, have fun getting your ego-fix throlling around.

You remind me of the Koreans I knew in university.

You remind me of the Koreans I knew in university.

Really, in what ways?

It just so happens I'm not Korean, I just speak it fluently. Japanese is my fifth language so whatever you think of my "near-zero" understanding of the grammar, sentence structure, etc, I really couldn't care less. After 6 months of studying Japanese I'm happy with the progress I've made so far and after two years in Tokyo I no doubt will speak it well. In the meantime, you might want to think about a personality change as one of your resolution for 2015!

You might want to hold off a bit on counting Japanese among the languages you speak; it's a bit premature.

Yes, Japanese is my fifth language, as in, the fifth one to be added right now.

You seem to have some unresolved anger issues. Is it a daddy issue? Maybe some unfulfilled sexual desires? You might want to go see a shrink mister. In the meantime, I hope a moderator will see this thread and make the right decision to delete it completely in light of your uncalled berating of someone who came here to get some language help.

I pity those who know you.

You seem to have some unresolved inferiority complex issues yourself. In your case, they're probably justified.

So you don't see how you've contributed to the direction this thread has taken by doing a total flip-flop on what your stated desires for the text were? It has been just one twist and increasing self-aggrandizement after another. Next time, display a little intellectual rigor and say what you actually intend to say from the get-go.

You seem to have some unresolved inferiority complex issues yourself. In your case, they're probably justified.

So you don't see how you've contributed to the direction this thread has taken by doing a total flip-flop on what your stated desires for the text were? It has been just one twist and increasing self-aggrandizement after another. Next time, display a little intellectual rigor and say what you actually intend to say from the get-go.

I think it's better I leave it to moderators. Thought it better to report your messages, including the one bordering on racism. Respecting others will go a long way. And in the 20 years it seems it'll take you to reach that point, I'm glad my Japanese advisor won't get a headache trying to read my email, while still seeing that the easy sentences and grammar clearly show that there is still lots of improvement to be had. I still stand by what I said earlier, I requested kind help to see how this email could be improved in a way that stayed true to the original while not displaying gross errors that a new student of Japanese is likely to make when writing polite emails. Somehow you thought it was impossible, somehow a Japanese person did it and the email is sent. Now, I hope you leave it to that because seriously you're making a fool of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom