What's new

E to J translation Practice for L 2 Part 4

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
I made another practice for my students. Would someone kindly check them?
Do all the sentences sound right?

①I lost my eyesight when I was in my mid twenties. (eyesight = 視力)

②I have been teaching science at this school since I graduated from university.

③I find it important to develop a lot of things with universal design. (itはto 以下を指す仮目的語)

④Even if the fire alarm goes off, people with the hearing disability will never notice it.
(even if ~=tたとえ~しても/でも)

⑤In order to do create a society where disabled people can live comfortably, I met many kinds of people with disabilities and listened to them.

⑥At first I thought Mr Baker was a teacher, not a student. (at first = 最初は A, not B =BではなくA)

⑦I felt uncomfortable in the company of my boss.

⑧I'd like to improve the society by creating a lot of things for anyone to use easily and comfortably.
(would/'d like to ~ = ~したいと思う)

⑨He's not just a professional baseball player but a professional musician.
(not just/only A but (also) B = AだけではなくBだ/でもある)

⑩I thought he was stronger than me, but I found my courage and did my best to win.

③I find it important to develop a lot of things with universal design. (itはto 以下を指す仮目的語)

⑧I'd like to improve the society by creating a lot of things for anyone to use easily and comfortably.
(would/'d like to ~ = ~したいと思う)

⑨He's not just a professional baseball player but a professional musician.
(not just/only A but (also) B = AだけではなくBだ/でもある)

Red are words I added. Pink are words that are not needed. Everything else seems correct to me.

③I find it important to develop a lot of things with a universal design.

⑨He's not just a professional baseball player but also a professional musician.

Thanks for the help, OoTmaster. For #3, is "universal design" a countable noun?

I would assume so. Since there could be possibly more than one design that's considered universal design.

There are some uncaught errors in your sentences:

④Even if the fire alarm goes off, people with the hearing disability will never notice it.
This needs to be "a hearing disability", not "the".

⑤In order to do create a society where disabled people can live comfortably, I met many kinds of people with disabilities and listened to them.
"do" is superfluous, and should be removed.

Furthermore, "universal design" is NOT a countable noun. It is a concept. What you originally wrote (without "a") is fine.

Also, a few other things:

⑥At first I thought Mr Baker was a teacher, not a student.
If you are teaching American English, put a dot after Mr: "Mr. Baker".

③I find it important to develop a lot of things with universal design.
Grammatically, this is OK, but it sounds like the speaker is developing things himself / herself. If that is not the case, it is more natural to say something like "I think that it is important that things be developed with universal design", or something along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom