What's new

Drifters

Originally Posted by topi
I see your point. They should find somewhere legal or where its at risk to themselves only.
Yes. That's the point.
It is not my problem, if someone likes to crash his car (and therefore sacrifies himself) at a concrete wall.
And nobody has the right to make such things my problem.

mikecash said:
You're a good man.
That's my opinion, too..... ;-)

Keep in mind they have venues around here to do this stuff. Time trials and what not. If I remember right it's only about 3,000 yen for all day. Ask around. I'll try to grab more info. All my friends have all moved on. I guess it's time to make some new ones.

But thats not the point......

And as far as I know especially the drifters won't go to (to public traffic) closed places - and that was the topic that came up in the middle of the thread.
As Mike stated the C1 in Tokyo is far away from that what is a venue for doing races ....

Yes, they do, or there would be no such place set up.

C1, Bay Bridge, Nambu, 246 will always have people racing, just as you can find racing anywhere on the streets of LA , Miami, or your own hometown. I'm just saying not everyone who races is a bad guy out to kill someone while pulling an awesome drift.

I'll go you one further and stipulate that I don't believe any of them are bad guys out to kill anyone.

It doesn't change the fact that they are a public menace and they actually do injure/kill people, though.

Hey,

Yeah, I can drift. Don't have a drifting car at the moment but if I can find a 95 240 here in Vegas, I'll be swapping the engine out.

As for overall driving fun, my car I have now is a blast even though it is a combination of two different Opel platforms, the Vectra and Omega.

Anywho.

Ant

Hmm love drifting. I have never done it but I want to ... I think I need to buy an S2000 for that though because rear wheel drives are easier to drift than front wheel drives.... Right now I drive a 4WD Subaru so it is really hard to drift haha

Front wheel drives cannot drift. Fools in civics may say they can, but that is just a55 dragging.
I wouldnt say you NEED an S2000 lol, but its a damn good excuse to buy one!

topi said:
Front wheel drives cannot drift. Fools in civics may say they can, but that is just a55 dragging.
I wouldnt say you NEED an S2000 lol, but its a damn good excuse to buy one!

On the contrary if you know how to handle the E Brake you can drift in a front wheel drive. Look it up on the internet under Japanese Drifting. You will find examples of it.

That is NOT drifting. Drifting is traction with the front wheels and controlled loss of traction on the rear, maintained with the throttle.
E-brake a55 dragging is not drifting.
People tell me they can FF drift, I tell them they are a lier.

topi said:
That is NOT drifting. Drifting is traction with the front wheels and controlled loss of traction on the rear, maintained with the throttle.
E-brake a55 dragging is not drifting.
People tell me they can FF drift, I tell them they are a lier.

Please take time to read this. Some of the top and most skilled Japanese drifters know how to drift a front wheel drive car. Thought it is not easy it is possible.

StreetRacing.org - The Legend

So, you call Keiichi Tsuchiya is a lier?
Also, you don't need to use E-brake to drift in FWD car.
Using E-brake for drifting is just a beginner.

According to Keiichi Tsuchiya, drifting can be done in any kinds of car.
Definition of drifting by Keiichi Tsuchiya is as follows.

Start sliding in side before you start to turn.
Keep sliding and control your car.

If you can do that, that is called drifting.

WyteAnjal said:
Please take time to read this. Some of the top and most skilled Japanese drifters know how to drift a front wheel drive car. Thought it is not easy it is possible.

StreetRacing.org - The Legend

So, you call Keiichi Tsuchiya is a lier?
Also, you don't need to use E-brake to drift in FWD car.
Using E-brake for drifting is just a beginner.

According to Keiichi Tsuchiya, drifting can be done in any kinds of car.
Definition of drifting by Keiichi Tsuchiya is as follows.

Start sliding in side before you start to turn.
Keep sliding and control your car.

If you can do that, that is called drifting.

Yes, Tsuchiya is a god. However, with a FF car, you tend to get into more of a powersliding situation than a full on drift. In order to fully drift, you need the back wheels to lose grip and susequently regain traction to push you through the turn. With a powerslide, the front wheels are pulling you through.

But you can psuedo-drift/powerslide a FF car.

As to your comment about drifting your Scoobie, you can. The 4 wheel drift is a pain in the *** to do, especially with the 98 you have, you need more power for it but it can be done.

Have you ever thought about an aftermarket turbo for the Impreza? Is it an auto or standard?

Ant

Exactly, powersliding is not drift.

However, drifting is about no rules fun. So do what you is for you and make your own rules. If your happy sliding around in a FF then so be it.

Last edited:
topi said:
Exactly, powersliding is not drift.

However, drifting is about no rules fun. So do what you is for you and make your own rules. If your happy sliding around in a FF then so be it.

I can honestly say that I have sometimes been WAY more happy pulling off a wicked powerslide than a drift. There's a different feeling to the car in a powerslide that makes you almost sh*t yourself during some turns, but you pull through and are all 'DO IT AGAIIIIN!!!!'.

Driving silly like that in a closed environment is all about fun, you know?

Ant

Yea heh, its all good really.

I dont get much chance to drive like this as im 15, so I obviously cant go out looking for places and slide around.

But me and my dad have a few safe spots on certain days. I tried getting in with the local drift club, but the best they could come up with was riding along with a drifter, I wasnt alowed to actually drive due to insurance cr4p.

Ive emailed every local track and airfield asking if I could drift there, but everything is governed by insurance. :(

Im just going to be forced to wait for a while, or do it without asking.

I have had my aw11 for about a month now. There is a traffic island near to where i live that when wet can get quite slippy, i sometimes drive back that way when it is late at night on my way home. It is a good island because it has wide lanes, and you can see before you get there if there are any cars coming. So i have been going around it sometimes just slowly seeing how to get a little slide going, i have watched tsuchiya's drift bible and know that you have to be quicker with counter steer with mid-engine cars and he is right. i am only going slow, and only when there is absolutely no-one around.
I want to know how to control the car if it steps out all of a sudden when i dont want it to.
Last friday as i was going up to my friends house (it had been farely warm and then started pouring with rain, so it was very slippy) I got a little surprise. I was going straight across and island, in essence when you look at it it is like a little shicane (right then left), anyway, i was going normal speed *i.e. not speeding* and as i turned to the left the back-end slid out and i was sliding starting to face the curb, anyway i did remember what i saw on drift bible and managed to straighten it up and wasnt too scared. but I think i was lucky. And i was just driving normally. not hooning or even trying to slide, so you can see why i was surprised. I now know why it did it, 1) because it was pretty slippy and 2) because the little right then left turn had shifted the weight of the car...like a feint (i re-watched drift bible that night to try and figure out why it did it).

Im thinking of trying to find somewhere in my town that is a large open area where no-one goes. maybe a carpark out of town that no-one goes to when the shop is closed so i can practice and no get worried if my car does the same thing again. I dont want to go to the places all the boy racers go to. Im not into what they do...

bit of a rambling message.... :?

Porl''

Yea the mid engine layout can ceretainly wake you up if your not paying full attention.

Theres been numerous times in my dads SW20 turbo that weve been facing the wrong way or unexpectedly drifting. And thats an experienced driver.

a sileighty drift like a charm you should try it, perfect balance, powerfull , lots of aftermarket

for the FF drift youre all right there is FF drift technique but for the purist a FF just do powersliding pseudo-drift, but i must agree i saw some crazy powerslide drift in a eg6
the real thing is and will always be RWD

I'm an FF drifter even though i'd rather drift a car made to handle it but i've managed a way to drift without the ebrake on a rainy day. I've earned the nickname takumi when i drive but i'm not that good i just want to but don't got the real skill. though i have managed a insane drift in an rxz once through a parking lot. it was supposed to be an 80ft drift with a 80 degree turn at something over 90

I wana drift but in orange county it's not like we got the roads for it (never mind the nazi cop bastards here who'll not only arrest someone innocent for the power high but will charge you more for adding an unregistered turbo then a DUI)

however in my FF 96 inline 4 cyl accord i mannaged to do sorta a gutter drift but not the takumi specialty. on rainy days the gutter fills with water and if i turn fast enough at the right time it's kinda like the jumping rear wheel drift only you don't hit the curb. i can get my right rear wheel to hydroplane over the gutter puddle and the other rear wheel will follow in a drift and i can manage a FF non ebrake drift.

some day i'll have an AWD or RWD

Dr32ift said:
I'm an FF drifter even though i'd rather drift a car made to handle it but i've managed a way to drift without the ebrake on a rainy day. I've earned the nickname takumi when i drive but i'm not that good i just want to but don't got the real skill. though i have managed a insane drift in an rxz once through a parking lot. it was supposed to be an 80ft drift with a 80 degree turn at something over 90

I wana drift but in orange county it's not like we got the roads for it (never mind the nazi cop bastards here who'll not only arrest someone innocent for the power high but will charge you more for adding an unregistered turbo then a DUI)

however in my FF 96 inline 4 cyl accord i mannaged to do sorta a gutter drift but not the takumi specialty. on rainy days the gutter fills with water and if i turn fast enough at the right time it's kinda like the jumping rear wheel drift only you don't hit the curb. i can get my right rear wheel to hydroplane over the gutter puddle and the other rear wheel will follow in a drift and i can manage a FF non ebrake drift.

some day i'll have an AWD or RWD

stop watching initial d youll end up crashing, :eek: doing dumb thing like that
you wanna drift get a RWD whit good coilover and brakes an LSD and some tire and learn it the real way... hydroplanning is really not a good idea you might kill yourself or someone else one days, its too unpredictable and you have no control at all on your car when you hydroplanne....

stay safe by doing it the right way = have fun drifting :p

i know the endless dangers and risk of trying something your car isn't made for but it's not like i try to make a sport of it or anything. i discovered the gutter thing by accident and i only found out about initial D after i was called for takumi for doing my version of the gutter turn. i also said that in orange county this city isn't made so you can drift, i'm just a wannabe who wishes i could but won't unless i do it on a formula D1 course or something with the proper tuning.

and don't confuse me with some fan who thinks drift is as easy/safe as slamming the break at high speeds and turning the wheels. i don't intend to push things past the limit but i do find the thrill when your actually moving a different direction then your car is facing.

Back
Top Bottom