What's new

Does North Korea really need missiles to be a nuclear threat to Asia?

Turbo Lover

後輩
14 Oct 2013
I hear a lot about North Korea being a nuclear threat once they perfect missles that can deliver the bombs they are making and have made.

1. They have the largest submarine fleet on earth. What would stop them from putting a nuke on them and using a suicide crew to make them into nuclear piloted torpedoes?

2. Who would dare invade a country that is known to have nukes?

3. Could they commit suicide and put the entire earth into a nuclear winter?

I don't know a lot about this stuff, but aren't they already a big threat just by having nukes alone?

Tracking subs.

Between satellite tracking and underwater listening systems , it is very difficult nowdays for a sub to get around undetected. Even back in the early 70's we could tell a subs location within 100 yards most of the time. If they ever manage to make nuke/dirty bombs that can be carried or worn , then we will have big problems.

Uncle Frank

In peacetime use.

They are used mainly for spying. They sneak into coastal waters of their enemies and sometimes friends and listen in to cell phone calls and collect signals and record and study about any sound they can. Subs have even tapped into underwater phone lines. They often use the periscope to video record missile testing and military exercises etc. They can also be used to drop off agents or warriors on enemy beaches under cover of darkness. If they do go to war, they are one of the best weapons out.

Uncle Frank

You could also say they have so many subs because they have so many hostile nations near them.

The U.S. and South Korea regularly conduct naval exercises right in their face. Last one I know of was off the southern coast of South Korea and I was like, hey, thank you for not antagonizing North Korea today.

This also applies to why they want nukes and nuke warhead capable missiles. The U.S. has bases in South Korea and Japan, and as I said, conducts joint naval exercises in their face. And America could flatten North Korea with missles from silos in Nebraska corn fields. Of course North Korea wants to keep up. They may be nuts, but they are not blind.

Also, I am not sure their design is to be a threat to Asia. The best they could do right now is simply APPEAR to be an equal power to their enemies. They are far behind.

Why does North Korea even need a military or any kind of defense? China is not going to allow anyone to invade and take over NK. That's already been proven.

Why does North Korea even need a military or any kind of defense? China is not going to allow anyone to invade and take over NK. That's already been proven.
It depends on interests, Take the last Georgian-Russian war for example, Georgia is not rich of resources, and somehow not a very strategic location on the map for the NATO so they didn't help Goergia.
Take Israel in the other hand, Strategy and Money protected that small colony.
Iraq-Kuwait war, Resources first then Strategic location.
Taiwan-China crisis.

Notice that the western nations helped Israel to build it's own nuclear warheads so if there is a war between Arab and Jews it will be Arab-Israel war not a direct Western-Muslim war (kill each other we are out), But even though the western nations will not let their most important colony fall.

There are allies that you can't let down and the opposite, It always depends on interests.

NK helped by China and Russia against the US, Japan and SK so to avoid the direct involvement they helped NK to build it's own nuclear weapons, At least if a war happened the Big players won't get too much damage.

this is the big players game, So the other players for example SK, Will not rely on anyone else to protect them because it's a matter of interests which means a matter of time before the big daddy get better offer.

This is at least my own point of view.

Back
Top Bottom