What's new

Does Anyone Have any Experience with Interac?

thejapanguy

先輩
12 Nov 2010
I am taking the plunge, moving from an Eikaiwa to public school, but am trying to find the best way to go about it. Right now, Interac stands out in mind. It's one of the larger providers of ALTs and AETs to public schools.
Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with working for Interac? Any other companies that have contracts with public schools?
Thank you

You've been here long enough to work in an eikaiwa yet not hear of anything about Interac?????

Mostly bad news. Mileage varies.
Tons of other (mostly disreputable) dispatch agencies abound in Japan.
You could also try applying directly to BOEs. Rare opportunities do come up for direct hires.

JET program will also give you an ALT job. You can apply in Japan but have to interview in your home country.

The best option is to be directly employed by a Board of Education. Try to contcat some in your area directly. Who knows maybe there are hiring.

Yes, a direct BOE hire is best, but it not typically a very likely thing without contacts or related experience. Nothing to lose by trying, as I wrote earlier.

I appreciate that. I wonder how I would go about the direct hire route? It's definitely time to start considering it, since the school year will be starting in April. If I am unable to do the BOE version, going through a dispatch company will have to work. Come to think of it though, my city's Board of Education is looking for teachers, and I did turn in my application already...so it's a start.

Direct hire application is done...uh...directly. Talk to your local BOE and ask where and how to put in an application. Oh, you did that. Well, then, why did you ask your question in that last post then?

I'm asking because I've never done it before. I didn't know if applying directly meant going to the public schools themselves or going to a city's collective Board of Education. I'm trying to get every piece of information I can, so I can make some informed decisions. Even one person telling me about an experience they've had relating to any questions on this post (even ones I think I know the answer to) could be helpful.

Glenski, when I said "I've never done it before," it meant that this is my first time having to do any kind of outside applications (including my city's BOE). I'll keep any other BOE options in mind, though. Thank you.

Does anyone else have any dispatch company experience?

Are you limited to a single city? Dispatch agencies abound in Japan, but they don't service all areas. Where are you looking for work?

I see. No, I'm not limited to one city, not at all. I am willing to commute to any city within an a hour-and-a-half train ride of Tsukuba. This includes central Tokyo. If there are any available positions here in Ibaraki, that would be nice, too.

Hey there! BOE dorect hires are good indeed. Also, you might try researching private JH/HS and see if the SCHOOL itself will hire you directly. If you are planning to be in Japan long term, that would likely be a huge pro for them when considering you to work as a part time or full time ALT. Those jobs don't usually advertise and are often gotten by word of mouth. A

Thanks crustpunker. Yeah, from what I'm hearing, reading that's the best way to go. I know I can figure it out, but I have to proactive enough to go after some of these jobs, but patient enough not to rip my hair out (wait a minute...I'm bald) if things don't go my way at first. I appreciate your input.

Thanks crustpunker. Yeah, from what I'm hearing, reading that's the best way to go. I know I can figure it out, but I have to proactive enough to go after some of these jobs, but patient enough not to rip my hair out (wait a minute...I'm bald) if things don't go my way at first. I appreciate your input.

Best of luck with it! Another idea might be to go around to local kindergatens/nursery schools/ in your area and see if they would be interested in hiring you to come in once or twice a week to teach English to the kids. If you can handle the chaos and if the teacher has good control of the class it can actually be a fairly easy gig. Just have a lot of activities and wind down with a good 5-10 min. of "Story Time" get 'em in a circle and read a childrens book (maybe one that they know in Japanese or an ISPY book) and you are gold. If you get 3 or 4 schools you can pull in a somewhat decent wage depending on what you charge, but more importantly, you will be able to get to know people, parents, teachers etc...who might very well be able to direct you to something more permanent and stable.

If you were to charge a man or 2 per day.
2man 4 schools, once a week
that would be 320000!

This would of course require luck and a bit of negotiating but if you have a lot of experience and were to do lessons from say, 9:30 to 12:30, I don't think that asking for 2man would be unreasonable at all.

Anyway, just a few more things to mull over for ye.
Cheers!

Most kindergarten and elementary school teachers have very poor English, even worse than those in junior high or high school. That's a big reason they need ALTs, but if you just show up, you'd better be prepared to discuss things in Japanese!

Also, the school itself may love you, but they may need the BOE to approve it. Whether going directly to the school is worth it, I couldn't say.

Wow, Crustpunker! I can see you have a bit of entrepreneurial flair, huh? That's a really cool idea...thanks for your input. And, Glenski, I appreciate the tip. I did hear that the English level for the Japanese teachers in most kindergartens is minimal at best. So I guess I'd better brush up...alot.

Awesome...thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom