What's new

The unraveling of Interac Yokohama continues

So is this the main forum for Japan now?

This forum had been online before Japan Today and Gaijinpot launched their own boards, and it's outlasted both of them, as well as a few others. It's definitely here to stay.

Anyhow, this thread is about Interac, let's please stay on topic.

I urge you to think about that a bit more. For you see, Interac owners who profit handsomely from BOE contracts also don't do a lick of work in many more months than just August. They are merely running an agent type organization, but taking near 50 percent of the money that was actually meant for YOU. They don't get monthly installments. They get a massive lump sum and dole it out to you.

What other agent gets 50 percent that is a) legal and b) not prostitution?

By your claim, all I hear is that you are quite happy to be Interac's (sounds like "boar" with an "h").

And I squeal every time because I love it so...... The August cut is the ONE thing I don't complain about. I don't work, they don't pay me as much. Hey, okay. ..oink,oink....
The other loopholes that Interac threads to keep us perma-temps and dodge contributing to our pension and insurance piss me off. It is galling that they take a massive (not 50%, but at least 25%) cut out of the loot for doing nothing more than sending some salesmen with me all those years ago to the BOE to give a slick power point presentation after I did my interview.
But they are the only game in town. Private direct hire gigs are few and far between. It takes some luck and connections to land them. I don't speak Japanese well enough to conduct business in it. I don't know the exact angle to hold my meishi , and can't compete with a real salesman. Getting a contract myself is not an option. So in the meantime, I do try and make use of the advantages the job has.
And really Don Diego, "boar"? Such language does not befit a gentleman.
And by the way, do you teach? Or is wooing governors' daughters and dueling on rooftops a full time occupation?

Last edited:
Easy come easy go. that's how they operate but it's also how most teachers operate. Just take it. Interac does just enough to keep people coming from year to year. The kicks are small and doled out smoothly over time. Reductions in pay, loss of holidays, lower salary. Their thievery is so incrementally small each year that it causes no real alarms, just griping and oh well, I guess I'll just stay another year and get kicked again. but if you work for them long term, like many long termers do, you have been largely gouged from when you started to when you ended. I can only imagine a family person working for them for the cushy hours because nothing else would benefit them. Good schools? so what. Show the money and bennies. Many of the long term people have families. It's ridiculous. Anyway, they do not take a huge amount when employment ends, just enough to make it sting but not enough to prompt two or more teachers to start a union and get really fired up. They know what they're doing. If they were taking 2 or 3 paychecks and making other issues, who knows, that may prompt some collective action. I know they have a money maker with leopalace apartments and shaft people in those start up arrangements. It's a long, not-so-well-kept secret. newbies, avoid that at all costs. Just find your own apartment and pay for a cosigner service. This teacher did the right thing. Kept them on the hook for rent, got paid that way and they spoke to the BOE. Maybe they told their schools too. Would be good to tell your schools also if you have issues and are being shafted. I think more people should complain if they are treated like this person.

Have you ever thought what it would be like if all the Americans of Chinese descent worked laying railroad tracks, bitched incessantly about laying railroad tracks, and never bothered to fit themselves for anything but laying railroad tracks?

That's about equally how ridiculous it is for long-term people here with families to sit and wallow in Eikaiwa/ALT.

Have you ever thought what it would be like if all the Americans of Chinese descent worked laying railroad tracks, bitched incessantly about laying railroad tracks, and never bothered to fit themselves for anything but laying railroad tracks?

That's about equally how ridiculous it is for long-term people here with families to sit and wallow in Eikaiwa/ALT.

Well said.

Is this company still operating? I would have thought they would be gone by now. Can anyone report on the state of disarray and money stealing tactics that are being used? Tips for anyone still with them would be great for those who unfortunately are.

But they are the only game in town. Private direct hire gigs are few and far between. It takes some luck and connections to land them. I don't speak Japanese well enough to conduct business in it. I don't know the exact angle to hold my meishi , and can't compete with a real salesman. Getting a contract myself is not an option.

The post is months old but I feel the need to speak against this sort of negativity. Some people who have set up private hiring have done it because they either speak enough English to communicate with their English teachers or have the personnel who can. If they don't, how much is it really going to take to get a competent friend or acquaintance to translate for you? How much money would it cost you to pay them? Remember, those people are looking for English teachers, not Japanese speakers. In fact, they are not even looking for people knowledgeable about Japanese business practice and culture. In fact, many Japanese employers of English teachers are quite happy to have the capability of immersion for their students that only a complete newbie to Japan can offer.

And nobody is looking for a Mr.Negative Cantdo either. They much prefer people who can find solutions and put them into practice. And that is generally evidenced by your ability to information from your friends, get someone to help you if need be, and get your interview lined up and rolling despite language barriers.

When Interac lost their contracts in a city in my area, some of the teachers went to the new local contractors and got their old jobs back.

There is life after Interac. And Interac can be beat.

The post is months old but I feel the need to speak against this sort of negativity. Some people who have set up private hiring have done it because they either speak enough English to communicate with their English teachers or have the personnel who can. If they don't, how much is it really going to take to get a competent friend or acquaintance to translate for you? How much money would it cost you to pay them? Remember, those people are looking for English teachers, not Japanese speakers. In fact, they are not even looking for people knowledgeable about Japanese business practice and culture. In fact, many Japanese employers of English teachers are quite happy to have the capability of immersion for their students that only a complete newbie to Japan can offer.

And nobody is looking for a Mr.Negative Cantdo either. They much prefer people who can find solutions and put them into practice. And that is generally evidenced by your ability to information from your friends, get someone to help you if need be, and get your interview lined up and rolling despite language barriers.

When Interac lost their contracts in a city in my area, some of the teachers went to the new local contractors and got their old jobs back.

There is life after Interac. And Interac can be beat.

Not being negative, being realistic. Tilting against Interac's windmill is not a fight I'm going to start at the moment. Situation changes, hey may take a stab at it. I take it for what it is, a part time job. A busy (really busy) week for me is 25 hours. That includes chatting with the kids in the halls during cleaning, checking papers and prepping lessons. And it's a great job. I'm free to do all the fun teacher stuff without the grueling administrative work or headache. The rest of the time, I have a desk, and computer access to organize stuff for my private students, to duel mysterious masked men, and manage other personal business. Makes for a stable base of operations. Not getting rich, but we are getting by.

And somehow my edit evaporated.... I hate computers. Just wanted to add not every private hire is a golden deal. I know guys who are strictly part-time, or on limited renewal contracts, or full time and make less than a new Interac ALT. Just some I don't come off as Mr. Cantdo, I know some with great deals, and can make out quite nicely with one job. I'll just end with all of them are pretty happy with their work and their lives here. Lots of different means to that end.

Is this company still operating? I would have thought they would be gone by now. Can anyone report on the state of disarray and money stealing tactics that are being used? Tips for anyone still with them would be great for those who unfortunately are.

Are you talking about Interac? Are you serious? You honestly don't know? No wonder you never did well in your job. You're not even aware that Interac is the largest private provider of ALTs in Japan?

Your posts don't make a lot of sense. What exactly is your complaint?

You mentioned your wife too. Are you one of those weird non-Japanese guys with a Japanese wife that you depend on for everything? Is that how you're going to live out your life? Living in Japan, an unlicensed teacher, getting by comfortably enough on "teaching" English here and there, complaining about your work? Do you ever look around you and notice that you're not in your native country? Have you ever thought of getting your Japanese up to native level? Then maybe you can actually understand the rules of the society you live in.

Back
Top Bottom