• I don't like it

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I've never tried it

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters

neko_girl22

先輩
14 May 2003
When I first ate anko I didn't like it very much, but now I LOVE it. I absoutely adore manju, anman, anpan etc etc!! I've heard that most gaijin don't like anko, is that true? I guess it is a bit too sweet at first.

How about you guys? love it or hate it?

Here's me eating a combini anman -yummmm!!!😄

Attachments

• anman.jpg
    anman.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 484
I was like you at first, nzueda. I remember when I first tried daifuku, I did not like it at all! I didn't like the thought of sweetened beans. I really don't know what changed my mind. I guess my taste just changed/matured, because now, I love it! Making anman is kind of time-consuming, but it is so well worth it... ;)

By the way, I'm drooling over that anman you've got there... :p

Daifuku, anman, anpan with green tea...yum!

@silverangel - anko is sweet red beans. personally I still prefer them squished rather than whole beans.

@nata_no - Doraemon ate Dorayaki, right? Like in this photo...? My favourite is manju, but I eat dorayaki too -yumm!

Attachments

• dorayaki.jpg
    dorayaki.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 325
ooooh wow

oh i absolutely LOVE anko! it is sooo tasty! see im from singapore, and they have something similar (could even be that same), but they just call them red beans. (inventive hey?!)

mmmm dorayaki are delicious! and anpan...👏

what are those things called...on skewers, like little circles of mochi but flattened slightly...and they have anko on them? ooooh that is so nice.

Re: ooooh wow

Originally posted by ~*hellokittydiva*~
oh i absolutely LOVE anko! it is sooo tasty! see im from singapore, and they have something similar (could even be that same), but they just call them red beans. (inventive hey?!)

mmmm dorayaki are delicious! and anpan...👏

what are those things called...on skewers, like little circles of mochi but flattened slightly...and they have anko on them? ooooh that is so nice.

Singapore? really? where do they sell them?

hmmm

yeah that looks kinda like it! dango...that sounds right...

Singapore? really? where do they sell them?

hmmm well i have had it before in icecreams..."potong" icecream but i do remember having the red beans in a dessert of some sort?

or have i been away from singapore for so long that i'm imagining things? :p

I've never tried it yet :(
However, it sounds scrumptious... I like the very sweet stuff! Just like Japanes puffed rice cookies I got recently, which are also very sweet 👍
Brand is an apple with a tongue popping out of it.

Meh. I didn't like it when I first tried it, I think it's okay now. But I'm simply not big into sweet foods. At least not thosse without a bunch of fat to go with it! :D

I think it's okay. It's not something I crave; if I have an anko-filled okashi (Japanese sweet) or a maron (chestnut) filled one, I will usually go with the chestnut. And I tend to like chocolate desserts more than anything. But a nice anmitsu on a hot summer day sure hits the spot.

Anko sweet(Youkan,manjuu,dorayaki...) and Japanese tea (green tea, Roasted green tea...)is Perfect combination.

1.Youkan of one lot is eaten.
2.Tea of one lot is drunk.
3.A satisfactory breath.
4.1 to 3 repeats infinity.

oboro_tukiyo said:
Anko sweet(Youkan,manjuu,dorayaki...) and Japanese tea (green tea, Roasted green tea...)is Perfect combination.

1.Youkan of one lot is eaten.
2.Tea of one lot is drunk.
3.A satisfactory breath.
4.1 to 3 repeats infinity.
This sounds pretty much like a Babelfish translation 😌
I think you mean:
1. Eat much Youkan
2. Drink much tea
3. Take a deep breath
4. Repeat 1.-4. until you drop

Lina Inverse said:
This sounds pretty much like a Babelfish translation 😌
I think you mean:
1. Eat much Youkan
2. Drink much tea
3. Take a deep breath
4. Repeat 1.-4. until you drop

Thanks Lina!
English is very difficult...😌
I must try to study more and more.

Next time, please teach Dragu Slave to me. 🙂

I've eaten it mostly in Chinese bread and I didn't really like it at first either, but it became okay. I'm not much of a sweets eater.

oboro_tukiyo said:
Thanks Lina!
English is very difficult...😌
I must try to study more and more.

Next time, please teach Dragu Slave to me. 🙂
I can imagine how difficult English must be for a Japanese... but at least you don't have to learn any highly complex characters like me when learning Japanese 😌
漢字が悪いですぞ!:auch:

Lina Inverse said:
I can imagine how difficult English must be for a Japanese... but at least you don't have to learn any highly complex characters like me when learning Japanese 😌
????????!:auch:

It will become easy if you study the history of a Chinese character word together.
I hope your Japanese well become.📣

Back to anko thread...
Anko and milk are good Combination too. try it! 🙂

Dorayaki is very delicious. I had some cake, which was pastry filled with anko, and then wrapped in a fresh cherry leaf. It was a funeral cake, and it was really good.

I occasionally eat "Taiyaki" aka "Imagawa Yaki" in Little Tokyo. They cook it right there in the restaurant. Mitsuru Cafe in the Japanese Village Mall.

Last edited:
you're lucky to have a little tokyo in the neighborhoods you roam, Mr. Golgo....
there are a lot of Korean shops lately that carry some J-stuff, but it doesn't compare with the myriad of items one can find in Japan :(

Little Tokyo is in downtown of LA.

There's also a little Japanese community in West Los Angeles. I call it Little Osaka.

Torrance, CA, just south of LA city limits, is another major Japanese-populated area, posibly because Honda and Toyota both have their U.S. Headquarters there.

Sadly, maybe because so many Japanese areas have developed over the years, Little Tokyo in downtown is dying out. People no longer have a reason to have to go all the way down there. There are Japanese video stores, book stores, restaurants, grocers, etc. right where they live.

Back
Top Bottom