What's new

Things to use ANKO for!

Numark

先輩
16 Apr 2005
I just bought a bag of koshian (smooth paste) prepared azuki beans...
I like anko in daifuku and have had it in takiyaki and dorayaki... I was thinking the easiest thing to make at home would be dorayaki.
Does anyone have a favorite use for anko, even non-traditional uses?

i'm taking Japanese cuisine and for the last two weeks (once a week), we've been doing recipes using anko. So, last week we made the anko from scratch and so far, we've used it in baked mochi and three different types of manju. For someone who's learning to cook, this wasn't really hard to do.

"Azuki bean"
Because nutritive value was very high, the adzuki bean of materials of ANKO was eaten in Japan from the ancient times.

Japanese sweets using ANKO.
"youkan" is a thick jellied dessert made of red bean paste, agar, and sugar. It is usually sold in a block form, and eaten in slices. There are two main types: neri yōkan and mizu yōkan. "Mizu" means "water", and indicates that it is made with more water than usual. Mizu yōkan is often chilled and eaten in summer.

"monaka" is a Japanese sweet made of azuki bean jam filling sandwiched between two thin crisp wafers made from mochi. The jam can be made not only from azuki beans but, in some cases, also with sesame seed, chestnuts or rice cake (Mochi).

"Manjyu" is a popular traditional Japanese confection. There are many varieties of manjū, but most have an outside made from flour, rice powder and buckwheat and a filling of an (red bean paste), made from boiled azuki beans and sugar. They are boiled together again and kneaded. There are several varieties of bean paste used including koshian, tsubuan, and tsubushian.

"Anmitu"is a Japanese dessert that has been popular for many decades. It is made of small cubes of agar jelly, a white translucent jelly made from red algae or seaweed. The agar is dissolved with water (or fruit juice such as apple juice) to make the jelly. It is served in a bowl with sweet azuki bean paste or anko (the an part of anmitsu), boiled peas, often gyūhi and a variety of fruits such as peach slices, mikan, pieces of pineapples, and cherries. The anmitsu usually comes with a small pot of sweet black syrup, or mitsu (the mitsu part of anmitsu) which one pours onto the jelly before eating. Anmitsu is usually eaten with a spoon and fork.

I paint a pancake or bread with ANKO and eat.

"Sweets special feature of ANKO"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Hiroyuki for the information and video on sweets using Anko! I'm going to email the other class members in my cooking class about this.

Anko isn't just good to eat, it's great for patching up holes in the walls, putting up shelves, building furniture, and using as a general adhesive. It's anti-fungal and anti-bacterial; a salve made from tsubuan can help wounds heal twice as fast, and you can use it to cure athletes foot and eczema. Anko makes a great alternative for massage oil, not to mention motor oil. Just a few teaspoons in your engine will keep your car running smooth for years.

Thanks everyone!

I ended up making "dorayaki" using pre-mixed belgian waffle batter...:)
It was pretty good! I'll have to try using it as a spread for toast and english muffins too.

nice gaijin- I am out of poster tack right now...

Thanks everyone!
I ended up making "dorayaki" using pre-mixed belgian waffle batter...:)
It was pretty good! I'll have to try using it as a spread for toast and english muffins too.
nice gaijin- I am out of poster tack right now...

The combination of Belgian waffle and ANKO is right
This video did a topping of the thing which kneaded a mixture of Anko to ice cream on Belgian waffle.

The dessert of the monjayaki restaurant
"Anko Maki"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom