What's new

Do you build vocabulary list in notebook?

Muz1234

Sempai
13 Aug 2014
Do you build a vocabulary list of any word you come across that you never heard before and write it down in a notebook or something?

Do you memorize the vocabularies like you memorize a sacred text? (Bible, Torah, etc.)

While in Japan , I filled 2 big notebooks with words. First I learned the words I needed to buy things and order at a restaurant. Then words needed to travel around on bus , train , and taxi. I always carried a small Japanese/English dictionary with me everywhere. I was lucky and found a Japanese friend who wanted to learn more English and he helped me learn Japanese. Kanji was the most difficult , so I learned the other two small alphabets first and only learned the kanji I needed to use everyday. I think I bought over 25 different Japanese books to study from. After 2 years of hard work , I think I was only on the level of a 7 year old Japanese child. It's a hard language for sure.

Do you build a vocabulary list of any word you come across that you never heard before and write it down in a notebook or something?
Yes. I've recently started studying Japanese again after a long break and I do note down new words in a notebook.
Be selective though - only write down words that you are likely to see again/want to use/are appropriate for your level of Japanese.

Do you memorize the vocabularies like you memorize a sacred text? (Bible, Torah, etc.)
No, I just learn the word, or I don't.

Think of it this way: suppose you hear a word in your native language. Do you write that in a notebook?
I don't, and while I'm nowhere near as good at Japanese as English, I don't see a reason to do so with it, either. Sometimes that means you just forget a word; I recently learned about an English word I'd never heard of, and I don't remember what it was or what it meant. That just happens sometimes. When you learn a word you need, you'll form the necessary connections to use and understand it later.

I've learned a lot of Japanese words recently this way. 最近 is the most recent example (no pun intended). I heard it forever ago, I think a few weeks ago, and thought, hey, this is a word I should learn. But I forgot, and so I moved on. Then I heard it again, and that time my brain decided to pick up its slack and memorize it. It was effortless at that point.

I did that when I was actively studying the language. Although I mostly used flashcards (the Japanese-style ones that are on a ring).
A notebook would be helpful. Just the act of writing the words down will help you retain them. Of course periodic review is helpful too.

Back
Top Bottom