What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Do you build vocabulary list in notebook?

Muz1234

後輩
Reaction score
Do you build a vocabulary list of any word you come across that you never heard before and write it down in a notebook or something?

Muz1234

後輩
Reaction score
Do you memorize the vocabularies like you memorize a sacred text? (Bible, Torah, etc.)

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
While in Japan , I filled 2 big notebooks with words. First I learned the words I needed to buy things and order at a restaurant. Then words needed to travel around on bus , train , and taxi. I always carried a small Japanese/English dictionary with me everywhere. I was lucky and found a Japanese friend who wanted to learn more English and he helped me learn Japanese. Kanji was the most difficult , so I learned the other two small alphabets first and only learned the kanji I needed to use everyday. I think I bought over 25 different Japanese books to study from. After 2 years of hard work , I think I was only on the level of a 7 year old Japanese child. It's a hard language for sure.

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
Do you build a vocabulary list of any word you come across that you never heard before and write it down in a notebook or something?
Yes. I've recently started studying Japanese again after a long break and I do note down new words in a notebook.
Be selective though - only write down words that you are likely to see again/want to use/are appropriate for your level of Japanese.

Reaction score
Do you memorize the vocabularies like you memorize a sacred text? (Bible, Torah, etc.)
No, I just learn the word, or I don't.

Think of it this way: suppose you hear a word in your native language. Do you write that in a notebook?
I don't, and while I'm nowhere near as good at Japanese as English, I don't see a reason to do so with it, either. Sometimes that means you just forget a word; I recently learned about an English word I'd never heard of, and I don't remember what it was or what it meant. That just happens sometimes. When you learn a word you need, you'll form the necessary connections to use and understand it later.

I've learned a lot of Japanese words recently this way. 最近 is the most recent example (no pun intended). I heard it forever ago, I think a few weeks ago, and thought, hey, this is a word I should learn. But I forgot, and so I moved on. Then I heard it again, and that time my brain decided to pick up its slack and memorize it. It was effortless at that point.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I did that when I was actively studying the language. Although I mostly used flashcards (the Japanese-style ones that are on a ring).
A notebook would be helpful. Just the act of writing the words down will help you retain them. Of course periodic review is helpful too.

Top Bottom