What's new

Do I have to cover my window?

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
On the backside we have 4 windows and all were covered but because of the big typhoon last September one fell off (see image).

My neighbor, whom is an old and noisy man and just lives 3 meter behind me, complained this morning that we have to cover it as when we open the window we can look straight into his balcony and house if his door is open and told us that ,according to JAPANESE law , we have to fix it again.

Don't want to make things a too big deal as I don't want him to treat my kids badly and get into a big fight with him, but I do wonder if this is actually a law?

Attachments

• 20190525_175522~2.jpg
    20190525_175522~2.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 286
I was sort of waiting to see who might want to step up to the speaker's stand here, but it seems nobody wants to stick their neck out on this one, so how about another old man trying his luck that his old brain is still functioning in some fashion of reasonable.

I strongly suspect that fella who offered that there is some sort of law about covers or some such thing related to windows is trying to pull a fast one.

I am no lawyer, so we'll settle that question right off. But the law is usually not so loose that something about window covers can get on the books.

I mean, how in the heck would you regulate something like this, if it were true? What size windows would this apply to? Facing in which direction in relation to another window? What kind of cover?

That is just three, but if I were to really dig deep I could write a full term paper to get my degree for comedy communications.

Now I suppose somebody will do some serious digging and actually find some sort of law and if that happens you are all going to see what I can do with the English language when some really weird law gets uncovered.

See? The professor would be giving me credit for that great lead right there.

But then I would lose credit for the use of "right there".

A very cursory search turned up a legal advisor who says if the distance is one meter, your neighbor can ask you to cover the window (or used smoked glass, I guess).

The law is Article 235 of the civil code, but it specifies new constructions, so I don't know if it will strictly apply in your case. If he were being obnoxious and just trying to intimidate you, and you wanted to push back a bit, you might ask him which section of the law he thinks applies, because "according to section 235 the distances specified is one meter" and see if he comes back with anything.

If your resident is an apartment, you might direct any inquiries to your landlord.

Anyway, as you say, sometimes its better just to keep the peace rather than pick a fight with an old man, especially if you have (normally) good or benign relations with him. But if he is constantly looking for a fight...you might have the advantage in this case.

They make a film you can apply to glass that makes it one way. He will only see a mirror on his side while you can see him. You can enjoy thumbing your nose at him or mooning him and he will see nothing. I'd tell him your wife's father is the head of the local Yakuza and he should be "extra" nice to all of you or he will soon vanish from the earth.

If it's no big deal and you're willing to do it to keep the peace, I'd give him a note quoting the actual law and something along the lines of "I am not obligated to do this, but I will do so. If you have a request next time please don't make it a demand."

who knows, that might still be seen as rude if the only polite thing is rolling over for him.

Yes, without doing the proper full study of that bit of law language I did get the initial feeling that possibly the distance of this situation wasn't tight enough (one meter) to allow for that law as cited to apply here, BUT I do like the approach nice gaijin proposes.

By the way, that window on the left in that image seems to be showing a kind of guard type thingy that might have benefit of protecting that window in a bad weather situation and might be a good thing, if it is not too expensive.

I have one of them seriously old houses that has the sliding wooden protective layers, or whatever they are supposed to be called. They'll rattle a whole bunch in a storm, but they don't fly away.

Article 235 actually says 1 meter from the boundary.

However as you have explained that there was a cover over the window and that it was removed by a storm
it would be customary to replace it to avoid issues with neighbors regardless of the law.

Article 236 says, If there are customs that differ from the provisions of the preceding two Articles, those customs shall prevail.

Based on the law and the situation before the typhoon the answer is for you to put a cover over the window.

Thank you for the replies and useful information. I haven't been able to talk to him yet but I'm not going to spend too much money on something that I don't have to do and will just keep that window closed.

I'll inform you after I talk to him.

Thank you for the replies and useful information. I haven't been able to talk to him yet but I'm not going to spend too much money on something that I don't have to do and will just keep that window closed.

I'll inform you after I talk to him.

Where do you get the idea that you do not have to do this repair, to cover the window?

Do you own the house?

I say "smoke em peace pipe" with your neighbor and try to keep the cost low like you said. Why not try to get sheer window curtains if you like to keep your windows open to keep air moving in and out. i agree with others try white window film.. Finally, I would ask a friend or someone who lives in the area about this law too.

Back
Top Bottom