What's new

Divorce rate expected to rise

slh1900

Registered
30 Mar 2007
I've been reading on the BBC website that the divorce rate might go up in Japan. According to this article: news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6495009.stm. Any thoughts on this?

This might be good or bad.
Good because wives will now get their way if they are unhappy with their husbands. But bad also, because some will only be looking for that half of the husband's salary which some will see as a perk to a divirce.

We'll have to wait and see how the demographics regarding divorces change, eh?

Mauricio

This might be good or bad.
Good because wives will now get their way if they are unhappy with their husbands. But bad also, because some will only be looking for that half of the husband's salary which some will see as a perk to a divirce.
We'll have to wait and see how the demographics regarding divorces change, eh?
Mauricio

yes indeed you are very right! You took the words that i wanted to say outta my mouth :p

indeed, we have to wait until more stactics comes up!
but everyone must also understand some marriages are good and some not! but then i have also a question for some other guys/ladies: why married if you know that you're gonna divorce some day??:eek:

It would not surprise me being that the divorce rate is going up world-wide (where divorce is allowed that is! ;-) ). But I think in Japan, there are more and more unhappily married women being that the "salaryman" husbands tend to work so much and perhaps those wives feel alienated and lonely at times.

Another thing is a lot of women are out working and there are bound to be opportunities for all kinds of things to happen; especially in very crowded cities such as Tokyo. Japanese women can certainly be as flirtitious as Japanese men, and putting all these factors together they may long to be single again. Likewise, it is the same with men. They go out in the big city, get tempted by what they see and what is around them and get weak. Then the wife eventually finds out and it is divorce time.

Also, it is the increased influence of the West in Japan that is bringing an increase in divorce, infidelity and too much "freedom" in terms of not being commited for life, not knowing and/or not adhering to one's place in the marriage and family, etc.

Yeah...I'd been thinking about that fact...that it might be going up a notch...hee, hee, hee....

It's not only a one-way thing...thing though; and marriage a thing for life? Would be nice, kind of, and can be, yes...but nature has had other ideas. MM

IMHO its the couples business.

I mean..honestly..if it goes up because that many people are unhappy/greedy/unwilling to conform. well its their business.

If the people are just that unhappy with their marriage.. why not go ahead and divorce? and if the woman has been supporting the man till the age of 60.. raised a family and taken care.. I would say she has earned her share of the money.

If the woman is doing it just because she is greedy... wants money and freedom.. well odds are she won't be happy once she gets it either.. greed is never ending.

If the woman is doing it becuase the man won't conform.. help out and its causing her to be unhappy.. well as I said.. she has erned her share.

Many people are also happy/modest/willing to conform.
Women or men who want to divorce will divorce without the new system.

Only time will tell if the Japanese life would be really miserable as the media agitate.

Back
Top Bottom