What's new

Different kanji

jeeplover

Sempai
Donor
25 May 2019
i have posted this flag on another site they said this is like japanese cursive very hard to read can anyone here read it? thank you

Attachments

• 100_0361.JPG
    100_0361.JPG
    862.4 KB · Views: 105
They are just a bunch of random names:
Toda Makoto
Inoue Misaki
Miyazaki Daisuke

etc... There is no text on it, just names. All look suspiciously drawn by the same hand, or at least with the same brush.

i was told it would be done by the same hand because the style of writing could only be done by a skilled hand.. thank you very much.

i posted this flag on another site this is what was said about the script on the flag. i thought it appeared sloppy after i was told what it was i apologize because i felt my ignorance had offended someone

I'm not sure what you mean by "sloppy." Also, you don't specify which flag is the one that looks sloppy. There are a couple of reasons why flag writing may appear to be poorly done. First of all, writing with a brush on a flag is difficult because of the absorbency of the fabric. The ink sometimes has a tendency to bleed. Secondly, many of the inscriptions on both flags are written in a cursive style of script known as sosho. Sosho is very fast, very loose, idiosyncratic, and often difficult to read. Sosho bears little resemblance to the kaisho style script which is used in books and other media.

i was told it would be done by the same hand because the style of writing could only be done by a skilled hand
That's simply wrong.

many of the inscriptions on both flags are written in a cursive style of script known as sosho.
This is also wrong. The one you got the reply from seems to be confusing calligraphy with sōsho. Almost all kanji are written in kaisho on the flag. There are only few semi-cursive style (gyōsho) there.
I'm not going to offend him/her, but the reason he/she can't read the signatures is just because he/she is not familiar with calligraphy, i.e., inexperienced. In fact, it's quite easy to read most signatures written there, as Majestic-san wrote some of them.

the other flag is not the other referred to in the above post.i posted this flag on a military forum and the guys that were there live in japan and are japanese so if they are wrong they are wrong above is what they told me i have 10 of these flags i also have the book imperial japanese good luck flags and one-thousand stitch belts. the kanji on this flag looked sloppy to me the above post was that response. that is what i was told.
thank you very much for your help

I, too, am Japanese, was born, raised and live in Japan, by the way.
It is a fact that "it would be done by the same hand because the style of writing could only be done by a skilled hand" is wrong, and the flag in this thread is most likely a fake, anyway.
Tell him/her my words.

能筆家が親族や同僚の代筆をするのは至極ありふれたことでしょうが、全署名が同一の筆跡である場合はその寄せ書きが偽造であることの有力な論拠になりうる、というのは論を俟たないと思われますが、いかがですか。

as i said your argument is with him not me. you are the first to say it is not Sosho. others have agreed with his opinion on this
if you want to discuss this with him you can i even put in a link for you .Axis History Forum - Login

Last edited:
I'm not talking about kaisho vs. gyōsho/sōsho. You misunderstood my point.

Again, I'm Japanese. I've learned calligraphy. You don't need to explain about Japanese (or Chinese) writing styles to me.

Back
Top Bottom