What's new

Cultural activities visa - but what exactly are "cultural activities"?

zsoke

Registered
28 Aug 2016
Hi everyone,

just like many other expats,I would also like to set foot in Japan. Now the easiest way when you don`t have a degree or a sponsor (or both) is to go there on a cultural activities visa. And that`s when my questions come into picture: 1. How do you know if an activity is considered "cultural activity"? I couldn``t find an official list;
2. does anyone know of an ikebana school or tutor who would sponsor for the visa?
3. does anyone know of a cooking school or chef who would sponsor?

I will appreciate any useful answer!

Are you planning on a course of study that would last longer than the period you would be allowed to stay as a tourist?

It looks like some schools may require a certain level of Japanese proficiency. This one requires JLPT N2, for example.

Application guidebook for foreign students|Nakamura Culinary School

How is your Japanese?
Hey,

yeah,that is a weak point...I know some places require japanese and I have just started to learn.And yes, I would like to get a visa for at least 1 year.

Last edited:
It was my understanding that you couldn't apply for such a visa unless you had already shown some prior experience with that cultural activity (pottery, swordmaking, martial arts, ikebana, calligraphy, etc.).

More here and here.

I get the impression you really don't care what you study, just so long as you get to spend a year in Japan. Why not attend language school?

the easiest way when you don`t have a degree or a sponsor (or both) is to go there on a cultural activities visa.
That depends on one's circumstances. Your flag avatar and profile say you are from the UK, so normally a working holiday visa is the easiest for people like you. (I also see in your profile that you are 31, so that makes you ineligible for the WHV, but I just wanted other readers to be sure they knew the better, easier route.)

Back
Top Bottom