What's new

Could you help me out here please?

KirinMan

後輩
23 Jan 2007
I noticed in "My Settings" that I am able to see what comments people have made when they added to my "reputation". However I am not able to "see" who was kind enough to add their comment. I can " read" the comment but dont know who it is from, could someone here please tell me how I can read or "tell" who the comment is coming from?

Thank you ahead of time for your assistance.

You can't find out who gave you reputation unless the person who gave it to you lets you know, either by signing it or giving you a PM or by other means.

Incidentally, if you ever get reputation signed "-MO", it's from me.

When you become a Donator you will know who have giving you rep.
Thank you for your reply, however your reply just adds to the mystery.

Is there any particular reason that "ordinary" members can not see "exactly" who is giving them reputation? I mean really now, if someone is kind enough to take the time to give someone a compliment, a member, about a post they made is it such a "problem" to let them see who the compliment came from?

Do I "have" to donate money just to see who appreciates a post that I made? Seems kind of childish if you ask me.........

Is it the purpose of this board to get money from members to see who appreciates or adds reputation for a post someone makes? I hope someone could explain the reasoning behind this to me.

You can't find out who gave you reputation unless the person who gave it to you lets you know, either by signing it or giving you a PM or by other means.
Incidentally, if you ever get reputation signed "-MO", it's from me.

Thank you, I will make sure to look out for that.

I usually put "Uncle Frank" on all my reps.
Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank, same to you I will make it a point to look out for your "handle" if I am fortunate enough to gain some "rep" from you.

I apologize if this seems like a childish topic, I just wanted to know who was generous enough to think that what I wrote was worth taking the time to "saying" as such.

I didn't realize that it was such a "secret".

I normally sign mine, but I totally forgot to sign the one I gave you the other day. The one with the word "reasonable" in it was from me.

Thank you.....

I take it you "follow" the point I am attempting to make. Are things "that" strict" here?

Do I "have" to donate money just to see who appreciates a post that I made? Seems kind of childish if you ask me.........

...I didn't realize that it was such a "secret".

I think DB only wanted us to know about benefits you get if you are a donator ;)

it is silly, I guess, why is anonymous... half of reps I got are not signed, so I have just a clue who gave it to me (because of topic, I can assume). I also always sign mine.

I think DB only wanted us to know about benefits you get if you are a donator ;)
it is silly, I guess, why is anonymous... half of reps I got are not signed, so I have just a clue who gave it to me (because of topic, I can assume). I also always sign mine.

Fair enough.... it is "one" of the benefits of being a donator. I would just like to know who was appreciative of a post that I made that's all.

Is it too much to ask?

I think maybe the anonymous nature of the rep system dates back to the time when we had negative rep as well as positive.

Now that it is only good rep we can give, I don't see any reason why it has to be anonymous, either. But maybe it's a lot of work to alter it now...?

Fair enough.... it is "one" of the benefits of being a donator. I would just like to know who was appreciative of a post that I made that's all.
Is it too much to ask?

no, as i said, i agree with you ;) i would like to know that too...
but relax.. maybe you have some secret admirer ;) some people just like to say anonymous, and i suppose, new members do not know you will not see from who it was ;)

no, as i said, i agree with you ;) i would like to know that too...
but relax.. maybe you have some secret admirer ;) some people just like to say anonymous, and i suppose, new members do not know you will not see from who it was ;)
Thank you to you and Kinsao.

Overall it really isn't that big of a deal, just manners that's all.

It's so cool, I just found this feature that you could view how many points you have received and last good comment added! However, the OP said something about him reading the comments (plural) he received and I went to my profile page and just could see the last reputation comment (thanks Pachipro) and not all of them. So, is it possible to view all rep comments or just the last one?

Mauricio

You can see up to 15 reputation comments in your user control panel. If you see fewer than 15, it means that you have received reputation exactly as many times as you can see the green or grey dots there.

Hope this helps!

I, for one, like the potential anonymity of the rep system, and see no reason to change it. :)

I generally sign it as 'mos' or my full user name, but in certain circumstances it's nice just to make a nice comment and leave it at that.

In particular, i've seen on other forums how the system can be 'abused' - for example, a clique of users who will tend to stick together on any subject, as a group, and whose members all seem to enjoy unusually high levels of reputation!

For me, if there's any question that the rep I give will be mis-read as anything other than a vote on quality regarding posts, then I will leave my name off.

If negative reputation were working at Jref, i'd be more concerned about the anonymity of that. While it's a great thing imho to give good without your name, if you're prepared to speak negatively I think you should be prepared to justify yourself.

Also, I heard about a member here at Jref who received a negative comment attached to their positive reputation - can anyone shed any light on how that works?!! Lol, perhaps it's someone new to the system who doesn't understand what's what??

As for the Donators having access to who left rep, I think that's fair and no problem at all. Why shouldn't they have extra benefits when they're contributing so directly to the costs of the site?

cheers, mos ;)

Also, I heard about a member here at Jref who received a negative comment attached to their positive reputation - can anyone shed any light on how that works?!! Lol, perhaps it's someone new to the system who doesn't understand what's what??

There was someone who did this, I think it's because she wanted to send a message to that user and the fastest way to do that is with rep points (one click and you can send a message by rep point), maybe this user also knew that you can't delete rep comments without asking an admin so that the user would be able to read the message everyday.

The person who did this (the one I know, I am not sure about whom you are talking about) knew how the rep point worked, so I do not think that he/she misunderstood it.

As for the Donators having access to who left rep, I think that's fair and no problem at all. Why shouldn't they have extra benefits when they're contributing so directly to the costs of the site?

It is indeed fair in my opinion as well. When you work harder or help out for something you should be able to receive some benefits, and the benefits are not THAT special in my opinion for other members to complain.

• "donator" user rank
  • a bigger mail box (so far 500 PM's instead of 210)
  • able to use message tracking
  • bigger avatar and private picture size (120x120)
  • special permissions, such as seeing who left ratings, viewing who is online and who is in invisible mode, edit/delete events in the calendar (for upcoming JREF parties and meetings ) and maybe more in the future.

Many thanks for your reply Temp_Admin_Dutch_Baka san :)

What you've written brings up two further questions in my mind, for anyone to answer who knows, (sorry, such is the way of things, alas - answers lead to more questions!)

1) If someone leaves an abusive comment with positive reputation should it be reported to a moderator or admin?

How about just a critical comment? I wonder because that might also be seen as an 'abuse' of the positive reputation system.

2) Is there any way to see comments prior to the most recent 15?

cheers :)

mos

Many thanks for your reply Temp_Admin_Dutch_Baka san :)

You're welcome:)

1) If someone leaves an abusive comment with positive reputation should it be reported to a moderator or admin?

How about just a critical comment? I wonder because that might also be seen as an 'abuse' of the positive reputation system.

If the person feels attacked by it than this person should report it to the a moderator or an admin, so that steps can be taken.

2) Is there any way to see comments prior to the most recent 15?

Only if you ask a mod/admin about it, but you should have a good reason to ask for it, or you can just copy paste them all the time in a WORD file or something like that🙂.

Only if you ask a mod/admin about it, but you should have a good reason to ask for it, or you can just copy paste them all the time in a WORD file or something like that🙂.

Cheers again, D_B_s :)

I just asked about the last part (seeing more than the last 15 rep comments) because you said earlier that a comment could be seen every day - I did think at the time that you must have meant 'every day until they disappear from the bottom of the list' but just wanted to clarify.

Lol, I have no intention of copying my meagre few rep comments into a Word file - at this rate i'm certain they'll all be around for some years yet, for me to enjoy at my leisure !! 😭 (j/ks)

Cheers again, D_B_s :)

I just asked about the last part (seeing more than the last 15 rep comments) because you said earlier that a comment could be seen every day - I did think at the time that you must have meant 'every day until they disappear from the bottom of the list' but just wanted to clarify.

Yes, until they disapear from the bottom of the list.

Back
Top Bottom