What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Can you break this down for me

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
騒いでいた

Sawaide ita

I know it means something like " noisy " but I don't understand the grammar part of it.
Thanks.

mdchachi

Reaction score
Same thing like "was riding a bicycle"
自転車に乗っていた

騒ぐ → 騒いで → 騒いでいた
Usually it's used in the context of making a fuss or commotion. Like the stuff that's going on now in the media over former Princess Mako.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Same thing like "was riding a bicycle"
自転車に乗っていた

騒ぐ → 騒いで → 騒いでいた
Usually it's used in the context of making a fuss or commotion. Like the stuff that's going on now in the media over former Princess Mako.
Well, that give a good understanding even your example. So it must be just an expression of some type then .
Thank you.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
More accurately than saying "an expression of some type" (which makes it sound like an idiom or figure of speech), it's a simple verb conjugation.
騒ぐ (the base form of the verb, i.e. what would be listed in dictionaries) means "to make a commotion".

The -ている form in this case is progressive/continuous (i.e. equivalent to the English "is -ing")
騒いでいる = [They] are making a commotion.
Changing the いる to いた makes it past tense progressive.
騒いでいた = [They] were making a commotion.

(The sentence in question omits the subject, which is possible in Japanese, unlike English. To know who was making a commotion, you need to know the context.)

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
More accurately than saying "an expression of some type" (which makes it sound like an idiom or figure of speech), it's a simple verb conjugation.
騒ぐ (the base form of the verb, i.e. what would be listed in dictionaries) means "to make a commotion".

The -ている form in this case is progressive/continuous (i.e. equivalent to the English "is -ing")
騒いでいる = [They] are making a commotion.
Changing the いる to いた makes it past tense progressive.
騒いでいた = [They] were making a commotion.

(The sentence in question omits the subject, which is possible in Japanese, unlike English. To know who was making a commotion, you need to know the context.)
Thank you very much.
Great explanation.

Top Bottom