What's new

Can someone translate this sentence for me?

mgsfan89

後輩
21 Apr 2013
だが親父は戦場 で負傷?すでに不能 者だった?だから俺 達は親父の体細胞を 使って造られた。前 世紀のアナログクロ ーン技術とスーパー ベイビー法によって。

This is the text in question and it is in the middle of a debate I'm having on some nerdy video game board. Anyway, I'd like to know what it says from someone who is fluent in Japanese.

Thanks...

I already have a general idea of what it says. This is just the original text. Its from the game Metal Gear Solid, and its a line where Liquid is telling Solid Snake how Big Boss was cloned. What I want to know is exactly what the Japanese version says because I've reason to believe the NA translation was mistranslated and has lead to a widely held but incorrect belief...

The literal translation is:

"But father was injured on the battlefield. He was already impotent. Thus we were created using father's somatic cells, through analog cloning technology from last century and the super baby method."

I have no clue what the super baby method is but it sounds awesome. In any case I don't know anything about Metal Gear Solid so that should be a pretty bias-free translation.

P.S. would be interested in seeing how it was originally translated, to see if there is a mistake or not

Excellent. Thank you so much. This is just what I wanted.

Here is the mistranslated version used in the video game: "But father was wounded in combat and already in a coma when they brought him in. So they created us from his cells... with a combination of 20th century analog cloning and the Super Baby Method."

The thing that caused the confusion was the usage of the word 'coma'.

It seems to me that the translator intentionally chose the word "in a coma" to avoid using an inappropriate word "impotent", not mistranslated it.

Back
Top Bottom