What's new

Can I Teach In Japan ?

arnadstephen

先輩
8 Oct 2002
_) I will retire in 7-10 years

_) I used to teach, and enjoy it (I taught High-School Math)

_) I would like to teach in Japan

BUT
-> I have two college degrees in science
-> My english is very "slangish", Southern
-> My english is very American-Southern
-> I do not speak any Japanese

WHY JAPAN
-> I like to teach
-> I want really see Japan (and Korea)
-> Who wants to play shuffle-board when you retire

I replied to this in the other thread where you asked this same question:

There is schools that don't care really what you have your degree's in, but as long as you have one, you will have a good chance and easier for you to get a work visa.

Originally posted by arnadstephen

BUT

WHY JAPAN
-> I like to teach

I was told that you can become teacher in Japan, without degree, but it is in something like a special class and you have to speak only in the language you teach, and no words in japanese.
As I said "I was told", so this have to be veryfied :p

I think you could teach an english class over there._. I don't really know much about the school job policy over there in Japan though so i'm not sure. 👍

Originally posted by Riven
I was told that you can become teacher in Japan, without degree, but it is in something like a special class and you have to speak only in the language you teach, and no words in japanese.
As I said "I was told", so this have to be veryfied :p

Check the japanese embassy's website for france or the consulate's office. They usually post rules for visa's. Pretty much the same for every country, but you still wanna check anyways!

Originally posted by arnadstephen

BUT

WHY JAPAN
-> I like to teach

ummmm im not too sure in this college degree part, as in britian we do "A" levels for 2-3years at college, just wondering is that acceptable for a work visa? As its you cant do a degree till your at unversity here in britain. Sorry to complicate things

im not too sure in this college degree part, as in britian we do "A" levels

_) I have two University degrees

_) In United States that is either; BACHELORS, MASTERS or PHD

_) Thats all Universities have in America

_) I have a BACHELORS (1977) and MASTERS (1988)

p.s: University Of South Florida, over 30 thousand students.

i think they only problem you might encounter would be your age, as most places are looking for younger teachers, but theres always exceptions, plus alot could change in 7-10 years. as for the degree it doesnt matter if its a BA in leisure studies or a PHD in rocket science as long as you have it, for the most part you cant teach without one. english is english if its your native language you can teach it. i wouldnt worry about not speaking japanese many of the teachers dont at the beginning.

One of the reasons that the big chain schools look for young teachers is that sadly many of them treat teachers very badly. An older, more experienced professional would not be willing to work under the conditions that a young inexperienced person will. Many of the teachers in English schools are recent graduates and this is perhaps their first real job, so they don't know any better, and have nothing to fall back on if they want to quit.

I have many friends from the UK and the US who are English teachers, and some of the stories they tell me are quite frightening. My advice would be to look around some of the language teaching websites and try to apply directly to smaller privately owned schools. I think they would jump at the chance of employing an older experienced teacher.

Tiger

Back
Top Bottom