What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Can I answer this in the following question

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
If someone asks me are you making good money teaching English conversation can I answer it with this.

お金はいい。

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
No. That basically means, "I don't need money".
Or, if you take a literal, word-for-word translation, it means "Money good", which sounds a bit like a cave-man.

Are you trying to say, "Yes, i make good money" or something along those lines?

People are often deliberately vague when they answer questions about finances. This is true in Japanese and in English.
So if someone is asking if you make a lot of money teaching English, your choices are

YES > お給料はまあまあです (My salary is OK).

This is the polite way of saying you are satisfied with your income. It assumes you receive a salary, and are not the owner of the school. You could also just say お金はまあまあです - which would get the point across, though it's a bit elementary.

NO > ぜんぜん or お金はあまりよくないです  First one is: "not at all". Second one is: "The money's not so great".

Does that make sense?

Its the same in Japanese. The typical, conversation goes something like this

Q: お給料は高いでしょう? You make good money, right?
A: まあまあですね   It's OK.
or
A: ぼちぼちですね It's not bad.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
No. That basically means, "I don't need money".
Or, if you take a literal, word-for-word translation, it means "Money good", which sounds a bit like a cave-man.

Are you trying to say, "Yes, i make good money" or something along those lines?

People are often deliberately vague when they answer questions about finances. This is true in Japanese and in English.
So if someone is asking if you make a lot of money teaching English, your choices are

YES > お給料はまあまあです (My salary is OK).

This is the polite way of saying you are satisfied with your income. It assumes you receive a salary, and are not the owner of the school. You could also just say お金はまあまあです - which would get the point across, though it's a bit elementary.

NO > ぜんぜん or お金はあまりよくないです  First one is: "not at all". Second one is: "The money's not so great".

Does that make sense?

Its the same in Japanese. The typical, conversation goes something like this

Q: お給料は高いでしょう? You make good money, right?
A: まあまあですね   It's OK.
or
A: ぼちぼちですね It's not bad.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this. Much appreciated.
You were spot on regarding the actual help I needed about my question.

Top Bottom