What's new

Can I answer the following question like this

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
If someone asks me is it good to start an English conversation School can I answer it like this.

今そんなによくない。

The original question is...
Q: Is it a good idea to start your own English conversation school?
or is it time specific
Q: Is now a good time to set up an English school?

Or is the question more about students starting lessons at a school. The original question is slightly vague.

The original question is...
Q: Is it a good idea to start your own English conversation school?
or is it time specific
Q: Is now a good time to set up an English school?

Or is the question more about students starting lessons at a school. The original question is slightly vague.
OK, let me try it this way. I'm sometimes asked by some people wanting to know if they can make a living by opening up an English conversation school.
My usual answer to them is : In the past it was a good profession to survive in Japan, but these days I would find it difficult to make a living from it. ( of course, I'm saying it in English )
I don't live in a very big city, so I have no idea how English schools are doing, but here locally, the trend due to less children, its a tough business to enter and we are faced with the corona thing.

If we use your : Is now a good time to set up an English school ? Using what I wrote, how would I answer it in Japanese / English ( my kanji is not that good yet ) but I can copy and paste into google translate.

Thanks for your time and effort in assisting my help.

In that case, your answer was OK, although I would rephrase it as

今はあまりよくないです。

This emphasizes that the timing is not so good now. It doesn't clarify whether the timing was better in the past, or whether it will get better in the future, it just says that right now the timing sucks.

In that case, your answer was OK, although I would rephrase it as

今はあまりよくないです。

This emphasizes that the timing is not so good now. It doesn't clarify whether the timing was better in the past, or whether it will get better in the future, it just says that right now the timing sucks.
Well said. Thanks.

I know 3 years ago many young people came to Japan with the high hope of teaching English, I often what happen to them now ?

I found out that in Okinawa, there is still is some job openings PT for conversation teachers at 2000 yen an hour.

Back
Top Bottom