What's new

Calling all cooks*!

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
31 Jan 2003
Well, now that we have a food section all to iself, it sure would be nice if we could round up some recipes, share cooking advice, or just talk about Japanese food in general. After all, food is a very huge part of Japanese culture. Maybe more than anime, even! :p

*Being a cook is not required. You can simply be the royal taster... :devilish: Well, okay...food enthusiast will do.

Last edited:
Iwaka Mutsukari no Mikoto

ryouri-1.jpg

Let's hope this guy is with us. Or it's even better if someone near Chikura visits Takabe shrine to let him know about this forum...

Last edited:
The god of food graces us with his presence, does he? ;) Tell us about him?

Good idea kirei-na-me !

I really would appreciate some Japanese recipes...... When I lived in NZ, I would do the kiwi cooking and if we felt like Japanese, hubby made it. So... now I am in Japan and struggling to learn more J-dishes....
I have a little bit of a reprieve, because hubby wont let me cook in summer - the kitchen is too hot. how sweet!

Suggestions!

Okay, everyone, what kind of recipes or just general food stuff would you like to see posted?

Great idea kirei_na_me! Well i guess it will be good if someone can explain the use of the Japanese foodstuff we see in the stores. I'm always puzzled as to what those sauces in the nice bottles are for. Although i have a year's foundation of Japanese language, kanji writings still give me a big headache. Maybe it's a good idea to include pictures as well... :)

Here is a recipe: Take a cup of instant-noodles, put boiling water over it - READY!!^^ :p

Kirei na me, let me know how I can contribute. I do have a nice recipe for Kaki dote-nabe (Oyster stew), if you'd like me to post it.

Kirei na me, let me know how I can contribute. I do have a nice recipe for Kaki dote-nabe (Oyster stew), if you'd like me to post it.

Please post away!! ;)

I'm going to work on some things this evening, as I've had company this weekend.

Konnichiwa Minasan!

I'm a Japanese but I usually don't cook Japanese foods.:p
And I looked for Japanese recipes on the Internet. I hope this site will help you.

NANGI

Here is a nice nabemono that I've tried. It's an oyster stew (Kaki dote-nabe". Even if you have to substitute or leave a few things out, it's still good.

1 quart shucked oysters (1 L. or 1 kg)
1 Tbsp. salt
3 naganegi (or 4 leeks)
3 bunches edible chrysanthemum leaves
2 bunches enokitake mushrooms
6 shiitake mushrooms
1/4 head Chinese cabbage
6 Tbsp (100 g) red miso
6 Tbsp (100 g) white miso
1 Tbsp mirin
1/2 c. cold dash
1 qt. (1 Liter) dashi
3x5 in. piece of konbu (8x13 cm)

After cleaning and chopping the oysters and veggies, mix together the 2 types of miso, and add the mirin and cold dashi to soften. Spread this paste on the sides of a donabe (or casserole, or skillet).
Score the piece of konbu, place in the donabe and add the rest of the dashi.
Bring the dashi quickly to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Add all other ingredients in whatever order you choose. As the miso doesn't melt, each diner scrapes however much they want of it. There is no sauce, but cooked morsels may be dipped into beaten egg.

Thank you for posting the recipe, @Haivart! It sounds wonderful, as I love oysters...and no, not for their aphrodisiac qualities, either...although.... 😊

Anyway, I just had tempura soba. It was really tasty...

tempurasoba.jpg

hi! i'm new as of today ^.^

i'd like to see the sauce bottles and stuff tooo. i'm hunting for a good okonomiyaki sauce. oooo and if anyones made it before what is that mayo that they put on it?! its definately not the same as american best foods mayo.

Originally posted by ParaParaPrincess
hi! I'm new as of today ^.^

I'd like to see the sauce bottles and stuff too. I'm hunting for a good okonomiyaki sauce. oooo and if anyone's made it before what is that mayo that they put on it?! its definitely not the same as American best foods mayo.

Welcome aboard, Princess. Hope you'll like it here!

Even though I don't like okonomiyaki, this is the sauce I used to use for it. Otafuku. When I liked okonomiyaki, I liked this sauce.

As for the mayonnaise, they use Kewpie. It's much creamier than our mayonnaise, I believe.

okonomisauce.jpg

This is for Yaki-Udon

For all those Americans who don't know the metric system, I also included the Standard system.

Ingredients:
400g / 14oz dried udon noodles
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
175g / 6oz squid, cleaned and sliced
450g / 1 lb large cooked prawns, shelled and deveined
4 spring onions, roughly chopped
225g / 8oz bean sprouts
15 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
4 teaspoons dried green seaweed, soaked in hot water and drained
4 tablespoons bonito flakes
4 tablespoons Japanese or light soy sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Bring water to the boil, add the noodles and cook for 7 to 15 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.

Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan until very hot and stir-fry the squid and prawns for 2 minutes. Add the spring onions, bean sprouts, mushrooms and seaweed and stir-fry for 2 minutes.

Add the noodles and remaining ingredients and seasonings, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Divide the noodles and seafood among four plates and serve.

Hope you like this!!

Yeah. This is one of my favorite recipes, seeing as though I'm completely in love with all kinds of yaki ( Yaki-udon, okonomiyaki, etc.)..........but I also love anything with a distinctly Japanese flavor to it. *drool* MISO!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Tell us about him?
The tale says that the 12th emperor Keiko was travelling around Southern Boso area in November (lunar October) back in AD123 (some discrepancies between Kojiki and Nihon Shoki,) where he was impressed by skipjack&clam served by a local guy there.
That's how the guy got a job. His descendants were given the Takabe surname, serving food for the royal family for generations. Thus the guy, Iwaka-Mutsukari, been admired as the god of cooking/kitchen/food.

Emperor Keikou's tomb in Shibutani township in Nara. Known as Yamato Takeru's father.

Squid and Daikon Nimono

I'm a big fan of nimono, so here's a quick one that I like:

1/2 Daikon
1 tube squid or one large "squid steak" (thicker is better for this recipe)

Sauce base:
1 cup konbu dashi
2 japanese hot peppers
1.5 tbsp sake
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp shoyu

Start the sauce ingredients on medium heat. While it heats, cut daikon into half-inch disks. Cut the squid into long, thin strips.

When the sauce begins to boil, add squid and daikon. Cooks about 20 minutes. That's it!

I like to cut deeply into the diameter of the daikon disks without cutting them in half. That lets the sauce soak in a bit more and makes it easy to cut with your chopsticks when you eat them.

[EDIT: It should be obvious, but this should be served with a bowl of rice, veggies, miso shiru, etc.!]

Niku-Jaga

Just made this last night. It's a real simple, slightly sweet braised meat and potatoes recipe.

1 onion, chopped in wedges
1/2-pound pork, or beef or chicken. Cut thinly
1 carrot cut in chunks
1 large potato, chunks

Sautee these ingredients in oil for about 6-10 minutes on med-low heat. While that's going, combine the broth ingredients in a bowl:

1 cup dashi (bonito or konbu)
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp shoyu
2 tbsp sake
Ground ginger (however much you like).

Add the broth to the meat, carrots and potatoes. Bring to a boil then turn down to low and simmer for about 30 minutes with the lid partially on. Near the end I like to sprinkle green pea-pods on top, put the lid on tightly and wait 3-4 minutes.

Serve with rice.

Back
Top Bottom