What's new

Question British online passport application (Photo with a code) booths in Japan?

toast

Registered
7 Jan 2020
Hi there,

I am renewing my British passport, and wondered if they have any booths in Japan that give you a code for your photo to put into your application? Apparently there are booths that give you a code after you've taken the photo, and it will automatically attach the photo with your application when you give them the code in your submission. If there are such booths in Japan, any idea where I may find one?

I don't have an adequate enough backdrop to take the photo at home, and don't really want to buy myself a beige/grey sheet just to take a single photo. However, if the booths don't exist in Japan, any idea where I can get a cheap beige or grey backdrop for the photo?

Kind regards,

Toast

If I remember right, when I renewed my British passport about 5 years ago, the guidelines on the photo were extremely strict and photos from booths were not allowed. I went to a local photographer with a copy of the requirements and spent a couple of thousand yen getting it done there.

If I remember right, when I renewed my British passport about 5 years ago, the guidelines on the photo were extremely strict and photos from booths were not allowed. I went to a local photographer with a copy of the requirements and spent a couple of thousand yen getting it done there.
Yeah they are a little less strict now, but you have to use one of the "Photo with a code" booths. The alternative they allow is to take a well lit photo in front of a plain grey or beige background from the waist up. I can snap the photo at home, I have good lighting and all, but just lack the background. My walls are all textured, and I don't have anything of the right colour or size to use. I could try for the paper application, but it's going to put me out a lot more.

I will probably have to just buy some background from Off House.

Back
Top Bottom