What's new

birth control information

mjl927

後輩
5 Feb 2005
i don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, but it seems like a practical question.
i haven't been able to find information online about the current availablility of oral contraceptives in japan. i'm moving to work for nova at the end of this month (feb. 05) and i am not sure what to do. it sounds like you can't bring any with you, and all the information i've found is at least three years old. i've been taking ortho-tricyclen for two years primarily for my acne and i don't want to abruptly stop while in a stressful situation. is it difficult to get the pill there? do they have anything similar to here (the US)?

Actually, you can I believe. I've brought my prescription stuff in before, but then again, was never checked (knock on wood). The pill is legal now (I don't think it was 3 years ago... if it was, it wasn't very long) so the information you've read has been updated. There is no planned parenthood though... and the medical system is a bit bizarre for a newcomer. Basically, you'll need to go to find an English speaking Gyno (Sanka Fujinka is the word in Japanese) and have him prescribe AND sell it to you (see... different!). Take that with a grain of salt, as I'm a man, and haven't experienced it, but a few of my gal friends have. All of which used to bring months worth in from abroad when it was illegal mind you. As long as it's not mind altering Class-A stuff, they usually just tell you no and throw it out.

HTH
GP

answered my question finally

i`m living in japan now. i found a female english-speaking gyno through another teacher and she was really nice. of course, not even the visit was covered by nova health insurance, but it was about the same price as back home. there definitely is not the variety of options available back home, but i got a regular pill and it`s not too bad. i did buy the pills from the gyno`s office.
turns out it is perfectly fine to bring regular prescription drugs for personal use, but you have to bring the handwritten prescription or doctor`s note in case of questioning. i was a bit disappointed to learn that, but finding the doctor`s office in osaka was definitely an adventure i will always remember.

When I moved to Japan last year I read the whole 20 page booklet of customs information and other random things you just didn't want to know, and it clearly states, many, many times, that you can only bring a 1 month supply of prescription pills to Japan, and 2 month supply of non-prescription pills. But, I brought enough of my birth control pill for 6 months and had my mom send more, and they didn't find them.

cgj.org is available for purchase - Sedo.com

Edit: sorry, I forgot to mention that if you did bring any prescription in with you, you MUST have a prescription with it, but this prescription doesn't get you any more than the 1 months supply worth of pills. From the research I did before I came, nothing enables you to bring a larger supply.

Back
Top Bottom