What's new

Big trouble, bogus car accident!

I knew it was a mistake coming here.
Although it wasn't completely his fault, we didn't have the language skills to express this when the police and insurance folks came, and the truck driver just steamrolled us because we had no idea what he was telling them and had no way to refute his claims. We were only allowed to go on our way once my friend kowtowed to the other driver in apology, as we were told that's just how you resolve this sort of situation. I'm not sure whatever became of the insurance claim... I'm assuming the apology amounted to an admission of responsibility, so it probably counted against him, I'll have to ask him next time we talk.

That's what happened to me,

She kicked me out. I am stuck here until the 18th of June. anyone know some cheap places to stay?

Couldn't answer the number question, could she?

What's your budget? We'll try to help you find something.

She can't cancel your return ticket, can she?

Last edited:
18th of June :)

My bad. Doesn't improve the outlook much, though. That's still 48,000 for 51 days and you have to have enough left over for transportation to the airport (and airport use fees, if any).

I would check on moving the flight to the absolute closest thing I could get. Again, with Golden Week about to start you'll have trouble getting a seat right away as all outbound flights are probably fully booked already. Would the fee be less depending on the date/day?

yes I heard about Golden week, when will it end?

yes I think the fee would be cheaper afterwards

Last edited:
Talk to your airline's customer service department, explain your situation and ask for a reduced fee to put you on a flight back on the earliest day at their convenience. Worth a try.

Talk to your airline's customer service department, explain your situation and ask for a reduced fee to put you on a flight back on the earliest day at their convenience. Worth a try.

it's with China airlines. Someone else who speaks the language already tried it. This golden week has killed that, all flights are solid booked up out of Japan.

You can stay the night in an internet cafe. There are some with showers. It might be an option for you to stay at one while you figure out your next step. Obviously if you have a credit card you can get a cash advance from any Japanese bank (I think... I have done this in other countries, but not in Japan). There are some money changers who also offer this service now. If you are really stuck, you might be able to find some places that give you room and board in return for work around the house... be a bit resourceful with your search engine and you should be able to land on your feet.

四条河原町店|メディアカフェポパイ

it's with China airlines. Someone else who speaks the language already tried it. This golden week has killed that, all flights are solid booked up out of Japan.

Sure, that's why it should be at the airline's convenience. After Golden Week of course. Why don't you call their Osaka or Tokyo branch office for example? Branch Office | China Airlines

They'll be as empty as a miser's heart by the end of it.

You might try WWOOF. You would have your room and board taken care of and might even get to leave Japan with some positive experiences and memories instead of the train wreck this trip has been.

Hosts in Kyoto

Last edited:
oh geez! Sounds like they took the initiative and screwed you over before you could expose their illegal dealings (intentionally or not). Was this because you asserted yourself and said you'd be unable to pay for the accident? Or you asked her to provide something other than her word that they aren't crooks? Either way, they've shown themselves to be poor friends, and believe it or not, I'd say you're better off without them.

I was gonna suggest some sort of volunteering, which you can usually do in exchange for a place to stay (and maybe some meals). WWOOF readily comes to mind. I also spent a night with the Japan Cat Network in the Kyoto area (near Emmachi station), as my friends were volunteering there and I was passing through. I did a little translation work to earn my keep, but there were quite a few people there with different responsibilities. They help out with a nearby school (english teaching) and run an airbnb service for a few local houses, so they have some volunteers working to help with that. I did a search and saw this post that they were looking for a manager, but I think unless they're full they'd be open to volunteers for a while. It helps if you like cats: Volunteer (Kyoto): Kyoto guest house and volunteer manager - idealist.org

If you decide to contact Susan, you can tell her that you were referred by Alison and Vincent's friend David, who came one day in mid-November last year. I did the translations for the interviews that Vincent shot and edited.

other options...

Another thought was when looking up "volunteer kyoto" I came across the Good Samaritan Club which is a group of college students that are volunteer guides for the area. While this in itself doesn't necessarily help, their group name gives me hope that if you got in touch with them, they might be able to help you out. This is going out on a limb though.

The other thing you can try is a site like Stay with Locals and Make Travel Friends | Couchsurfing where individuals provide free accommodations for travelers (although it's usually only for a few days at most, so you might be bouncing around). This could help you out for a few days while you figure things out, but you need to fill out your profile very thoroughly. Remember, you're a stranger asking to stay with someone, they need to get an idea of who they're dealing with. Having a complete and detailed profile and sending requests that show that you've actually read the host's profile is very important. I'd try to limit the sob story and just say that your living situation fell through and you need some help while you figure things out.

I hope some of that helps. What a crummy situation, but stay positive! You'll pull through this somehow, it's all part of the adventure!

By the way if I haven't said this before, I am truly grateful for all the help and advice people have given me on this forum. An absolutely huge thank you to you all. :)

oh geez! Sounds like they took the initiative and screwed you over before you could expose their illegal dealings (intentionally or not). Was this because you asserted yourself and said you'd be unable to pay for the accident? Or you asked her to provide something other than her word that they aren't crooks? Either way, they've shown themselves to be poor friends, and believe it or not, I'd say you're better off without them.

Well that's one way of looking at it and I understand why you say that, but you have to take into consideration that she paid for the return ticket from Europe.
To be honest I didn't push the legalities of it all too much. If you met her you'd understand why.
She still expect me to pay for the money the guy is wanting for his bumper. I think that out of all of it that's what annoys me the most. there is nothing wrong with that guy's car. It's just a weird Japanese mindset, a combination of pedantic and exacting. He got hit, the law says he deserves a new bumper. So he says I want a new bumper. Even though there is no damage. normal people would just shake hands, accept an apology and that would be that.
Someone I spoke to about this said, that it's best to leave it in Japan and not argue the toss as all that will happen is, the person will just get annoyed and then add-on a lot of other stuff like, I had time off work, I had to get a hire car while my car was getting fixed. pain and suffering. Inconvenience etc etc. Apparently in Japan he would be quite within his rights to bill me for this and according to the law I'm told he would be well within his rights and the Japanese judicial system supports this.

I suspect the brother has insurance that would cover it but just doesn't want to use it for fear his insurance rates will go up.

I'm glad you're away from them. I wish things were such that I could make some real offer of lodging or help with meals. I hate to see you come to Japan and have no good experiences while you're here.

you can't pay for money you don't have. Here in the US, he would have to sue you for damages, and he would have to PROVE that he hit you. Beyond saying that you hit him, he'd have to provide some actual proof or witnesses. Not that you could afford legal help at this point, but it wouldn't be worth his time either, to replace a bumper that has no damage. I agree that it's ridiculous.

To be honest I didn't push the legalities of it all too much. If you met her you'd understand why.
I can't imagine what your friend looks like cause all I can picture are all the red flags. You should take your mind off that nonsense and the car for now and focus on where you'll be staying and how you'll be getting by in the meantime.

I'm glad you're away from them. I wish things were such that I could make some real offer of lodging or help with meals. I hate to see you come to Japan and have no good experiences while you're here.

Thanks, :D
Actually I think be all right, I just have to figure out a place for a couple of months. I'm scouring the Internet day and night. something will come up

Tons of good advice here. How about telling us how much you have followed with regard to housing? That's your first priority, next is food.

Get your butt to an information center, too, and ask for lodging help.

I'd abandon the idea of staying here till June. Go home before you land in further trouble.

Do your "friends" even know where you are?

She dumped me off at a Zen monastery, I'm here for a day or three. Working on the rest. Off to bed now though as I have to be up for 4.45 for meditation. Busy schedule here.

She kicked me out. I am stuck here until the 18th of June. anyone know some cheap places to stay?

Sorry to hear that.
Check craigslist housing section. Also web search for hostel dormitory etc. Cheapest I see is about Y2500/night.

It would probably cheaper to move up your flight home. If you call the airline they might work with you.

When this is all over you should write a book.

Cheapest I see is about Y2500/night.

I've already linked him some for as low as 1500 per night. The big problem comes when you select a range of dates and check availability....places are booked for Golden Week.

Back
Top Bottom