What's new

Bicycle touring in Kyushu, need some suggestions

長崎 (Nagasaki)
精霊流し(Syourou nagashi)Spirit Boat Procession
日程 (Schedule) 8月15日 August 15

佐賀 (Saga)
Festival event of Saga

Event information from around Kyushu in June and July

July-August is the season of fireworks display.
It is fireworks display information of Kyushu.

The fireworks display in Kurume City, Fukuoka Prefecture will launch 18,000 fireworks.
The Kitakyushu and Shimonoseki Kanmon Strait Fireworks Festival have many spots that can be viewed beautifully from both sides.

Tools for solo camp
When camping on motorcycles or bicycles, I need small and light tools.

The gas stove I am using is (SOTO) G stove ST-320.
Gas is a CB can. It is an advantage that this gas can is easy to obtain at a convenience store or 100 yen shop.

(SOTO)Field hopper ST-630.
Mini tables are useful as a gas stove stand.

I use a light and durable titanium cooker.
But I use trangia mestin TR-210 when cooking rice.
Deburring and seasoning must be done after buying the MESTIN TR-210.

Method of the refuse disposal by the long-term camping

When I did shopping in supermarkets, I move it to a plastic bag from a packing container.
I move the drinks to the squeeze bottle and throw away a plastic bottle and the plastic container in a supermarket.
I abandon paper and the plastic garbage to a convenience store or the trash box of the Roadside Station.
It is important that the garbage minimizes.

As Japan has little setting of the trash box, I considerably have trouble with garbage disposal.

When I buy ice at a convenience store, the squeeze bottle is necessary.
It is necessities for summer touring camping.

Thanks, tomorrow my plan is to check out the free camp site in SanyoOnada. Looks very vacant of trees like most sites.

Ahh today I cleaned off and tuned up the old pilgrimage bike and rode about 40km today. Even though it's a little small for me, I missed it!

I have no idea how I did 1600km+ with those stock ones, halfway through the ride my hands were killing me! I was looking for bike gloves but settled on some new handlebars with palm rests and side grips,
!
bike.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh today I cleaned off and tuned up the old pilgrimage bike and rode about 40km today. Even though it's a little small for me, I missed it!

I have no idea how I did 1600km+ with those stock ones, halfway through the ride my hands were killing me! I was looking for bike gloves but settled on some new handlebars with palm rests and side grips,
!View attachment 29140

Nice bike nice gaijin. like the color.
This is my new bike I just got on the 6th of June. I haven't toured, but I hope to do some touring in Kyushu, Yamaguchi and Shimane prefectures. Did you do mostly camping?

3 bike in front of deer.JPG

I bought these gloves at Daiso and chopped off part of the fingers. Works really great for 108 yen.
23  gloves.JPG

Nice! Is that an R3 Escape? looks like our setups are identical, even the same kickstand and pannier rack haha. I bought mine specifically for doing the 88-temple pilgrimage in Shikoku back in 2015, and outside of that I don't have any real touring experience (it was a mix of camping/hammocking and staying at places set up for ohenro). The bike has been sitting in a friend's garage, waiting for me to come back and put some more miles on it.

I installed my new handlebars yesterday (~¥2700, worth every yen), I really wish I had done this from the start, the stock Giant handlebars are way too rough on the palms. I remember even with heavily padded gloves that became a sore point while touring. Your mileage may vary, but if you're going to do any serious distance every little comfort goes a long way.

Also, be aware of how much weight you're putting on the bike; if you have a lot of cargo, consider getting a front rack and spreading it out, or you'll end up with broken spokes!

Nice! Is that an R3 Escape? looks like our setups are identical, even the same kickstand and pannier rack haha. I bought mine specifically for doing the 88-temple pilgrimage in Shikoku back in 2015, and outside of that I don't have any real touring experience (it was a mix of camping/hammocking and staying at places set up for ohenro). The bike has been sitting in a friend's garage, waiting for me to come back and put some more miles on it.

I installed my new handlebars yesterday (~¥2700, worth every yen), I really wish I had done this from the start, the stock Giant handlebars are way too rough on the palms. I remember even with heavily padded gloves that became a sore point while touring. Your mileage may vary, but if you're going to do any serious distance every little comfort goes a long way.

Also, be aware of how much weight you're putting on the bike; if you have a lot of cargo, consider getting a front rack and spreading it out, or you'll end up with broken spokes! View attachment 29146

Yes, it's the 2019 R3 Escape. I'm very happy with. the frame is very light. Still getting used to it. The seat is a bit hard, but I'll keep it for the time being.
Your handle bar grips seem something I'll check into. They look more comfortable . Yep, the hand grips that come stock are really hard on the palms. That's why I ended up using a pair of padded garden gloves. And they really work out very good.
My camping gear will be: light-weight tent, compact sleeping bag, small lantern, a Donkey Hotei 900 yen small chair and a rain coat. I'll be test camping soon and will add some necessary clothes, but I want to travel light since I'll be pack'n the bike on a train at times. The Shikoku thing you did is what I've always wanted to do, but at this time I'd better stay within Yamaguchi and Kyushu. Not sure what location in Japan you are at, but how is the biking area in your area. Here, I think it has a lot to offer.

Oh, by the way, I upgrade the tires. Cost 4000 yen more. On TCC the member said good choice. Its geared for some light weight camping gear and shouldn't get flats as easily. Hmm, them pieces of glass are every where.

Nice, mine is a 2014 or 2015 i think, but it doesn't look like they've changed much. Unfortunately the L size in Japan feels more like a M back home, so it's a bit undersized for me. I think I have the stock seat but I threw one of those padded seat covers on it, and when I rode long distances I'd wear padded shorts. Chamois butter is your friend! The tire upgrade is a good idea; sounds like you'll be riding pretty light so you may not need to worry about the wheels too much. The one thing I didn't really like about the Escape was that the wheels had too few spokes, which led to trouble on my tour.

Shikoku was not an easy ride, but it was a fantastic experience. I think I only got away with it cause I was in decent shape to begin with, and determined to see it through. I'm in the Nagoya area now, so i'm just riding along the roads here which is... alright I guess. As long as the weather is nice it's nice to be in the saddle.

If you get a chance and want a REALLY nice ride, I highly recommend the Shimanami Kaido, which I used to bike from Honshu to Shikoku: しまなみジャパン - しまなみ体験ナビゲーション / English: GO SHIMANAMI - Bridges, islands, pirates and shimmering seas

Nice, mine is a 2014 or 2015 i think, but it doesn't look like they've changed much. Unfortunately the L size in Japan feels more like a M back home, so it's a bit undersized for me. I think I have the stock seat but I threw one of those padded seat covers on it, and when I rode long distances I'd wear padded shorts. Chamois butter is your friend! The tire upgrade is a good idea; sounds like you'll be riding pretty light so you may not need to worry about the wheels too much. The one thing I didn't really like about the Escape was that the wheels had too few spokes, which led to trouble on my tour.

Shikoku was not an easy ride, but it was a fantastic experience. I think I only got away with it cause I was in decent shape to begin with, and determined to see it through. I'm in the Nagoya area now, so i'm just riding along the roads here which is... alright I guess. As long as the weather is nice it's nice to be in the saddle.

If you get a chance and want a REALLY nice ride, I highly recommend the Shimanami Kaido, which I used to bike from Honshu to Shikoku: しまなみジャパン - しまなみ体験ナビゲーション / English: GO SHIMANAMI - Bridges, islands, pirates and shimmering seas

Thanks Nice gaijin
I'm in my 60's but trying my best to get back into shape. I'm just a bit over weight actually. I walk and can walk for 3 hours without a break. (summer time, no) but I don't consider myself way out of shape. I do know the Asian sun is something I'm not going to mess with during the summer. I got caught once looking for shade. I did have some water with me though.
I'm going to check out your suggestions and if you have anymore, please let me know.

yeah take that sun seriously! I got a farmer's tan yesterday from my little ride 🥵

Kudos for taking this on in your 60's, I hope to stay active until they put my brain in a jar. The goal is to die young... as late as possible!

Back
Top Bottom