What's new

Are those spellings actually used?

4 Apr 2014
I have noticed that during my study i tend to memorize alternative spellings. And while on the one hand why complain about having some extra knowledge, on the other hand it misleads me every other time.
So i hit upon idea of starting this thread where i would ask about situations in which those alternative spellings may be used.

For starters a stand-alone 門, which i used to read as かど until i heard Tatsuya Nakadai shouting 「もんをひらけ!」 in Akira Kurosawa's Ran. When do i read is as かど then?

Then there is うる spelling of 得る. Can i use it in compounds like あり得る(ありうる) 出来得る(できうる), what about stand-alone 得る? Can i say 予算はかろうじて議会の承認を得た(うた), or should i stick to える?

For starters a stand-alone 門, which i used to read as かど until i heard Tatsuya Nakadai shouting 「もんをひらけ!」 in Akira Kurosawa's Ran. When do i read is as かど then?
It's almost always read もん for "gate" in modern Japanese.

Then there is うる spelling of 得る. Can i use it in compounds like あり得る(ありうる) 出来得る(できうる), what about stand-alone 得る? Can i say 予算はかろうじて議会の承認を得た(うた), or should i stick to える?
That's える. うる is basically only for compound verbs or classical usages.

I've got a question about standalone 等's とう reading. In situations where it means "et cetera, and the like" i sometimes see とう furigana attached to it. Is there any difference from など?

It would differ depending on the context, but など would be acceptable in most cases. (Speaking generally, the kun'yomi など sounds more colloquial than on'yomi とう, so there can be situations where とう is preferred, I think.)

I guess i'll stick to reading such 等 as など then, regardless of furigana. Thank you, Toritoribe.

Does 越し only have ごし reading when used as a noun-suffix? How about こし? I mean てつごうしごし has two voiced ご one after another and to my ear てつごうしこし would sound better. The question is would that be grammatical?

Yesterday i watched 27th installment of 男はつらいよ. It was set in Osaka and needless to say it was packed with cliched Kansai-ben. But what surprised me was Keiko Matsuzaka's character saying にじゅうし instead of にじゅうよん when referring to age.
Is it normal in Kansai dialect? Is it normal in other dialects?

Yesterday i watched 27th installment of 男はつらいよ. It was set in Osaka and needless to say it was packed with cliched Kansai-ben. But what surprised me was Keiko Matsuzaka's character saying にじゅうし instead of にじゅうよん when referring to age.
Is it normal in Kansai dialect? Is it normal in other dialects?
That's not a dialect. ~じゅうし, ~じゅうしち or ~じゅうく can be used to refer to one's age also in standard Japanese. Notice that the counter word 才 was not said after the number. にじゅうしさい is not used even in Kansai or any other dialect.

Back
Top Bottom