What's new

Joe_West454

Kouhai
19 May 2017
hello everyone! I am in my last year of undergraduate education, and looking to apply at graduate schools. I plan on applying to Waseda, Keio, Sophia, and Tokyo universities. As a plus, it may not be, I did an exchange program In the spring semester of 2017 at Waseda. My major is Economics. My current GPA is 3.6 technical, and around 3.2-3.3 overall. I came in as a physics, and chemistry major and changed to economics later, hence the low overall GPA. My three questions are....
1) how do I look for these graduate schools? ( especially Waseda, my top choice.)
2) what do they value more, GPA or that entrance examination?
3) do they require the GRE?

I have tried searching other forums and the actual websites of the Universities themselves. However they have not given me to much in the way of average GPAs etc. that is more of what I am looking for. As for my girl, we decided that the long distance may be a tad bit difficult, but she is at least excited to see me upon my return next year. We agreed to not wait for each other. That said since my next visit will be long term, I am going to try again with her. That is of course assuming I haven't found someone else.

1) how do I look for these graduate schools? ( especially Waseda, my top choice.)
What the hell is your problem with finding these universities' websites? I'm serious.

2) what do they value more, GPA or that entrance examination?
Japan doesn't really understand GPA very well, and it's only in the past 3-4 years that it has begun to implement it for its own students. It has always valued entrance exams higher than any qualification.

3) do they require the GRE?
In the case of native speakers of English, no. It's pretty darned clear on their website, at least from the grad school of economics that I just looked up. Their list of requirements are very clearly laid out, even though it may take a bit to wade through the lengthy description. They even have a nice checklist you can print for yourself, so you don't miss anything. Like most unis, they state how many people they take each year or semester. Having been on a grad school admissions committee once, I don't think you would be particularly impressed with how they actually judge candidates.

So, are you planning to apply to the English or Japanese grad school?

The English program. Also I should have been more clear with my question. I skimmed the websites, and I seemed fine according to them, but I wanted more confirmation from others in my being fine.

The English program. Also I should have been more clear with my question. I skimmed the websites, and I seemed fine according to them, but I wanted more confirmation from others in my being fine.

If we had told you you weren't fine would you have then decided not to go through with applying?

Have your questions been answered?

It will be hard to judge how well your relationship with your girlfriend will fare. We have no idea about either of you. There is always Skype to keep your faces fresh, and unless she is broke, a visit once a year might also be possible. What bothers me is that you mentioned finding someone else, which suggests that your relationship may already not be sound. If it was, you wouldn't have bothered to bring up the possibility.

Sorry for my very late response. I got caught up in my Bachelors Thesis. I answer to your question Mike, I would still apply on the basis that my chances of getting without applying are zero. That is worse than a small chance of success.
For you glenski, it's not that we want to find someone else, but we agreed that since I won't be able to see her in person for 1.5 years, it may be best to allow each other to date someone else if they happen to come in to our lives I.e we both won't go searching for someone, but if they find us then okay. Otherwise we'll continue whence I get back to Japan.

I think you were thinking of "once". Which in that case is used as supposition and/or conjecture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom