What's new

Anyone using Windows Vista Beta ?

RockLee

Hullu
22 Apr 2004
I installed it today, the 2nd beta and I must say it looks kind of spiffy. It's known that it uses a huge amount of space and graphic power, so a good pc is a must if you want to use it.

At the moment I'm using it, and it's not so difficult once you know where everything is. Basicly the animations and GUI(Graphical User Interface) are really a new thing.

Here are some screens for those who are interested.
http://www.notebookshoppe.com/?p=25

Vista is supposed to be released in January 2007, but I don't know if that will be the actual release date. :)

It looks pretty cool, I especially like the Task bar, and the Start button! I have already tried the new Internet Explorer and think that one is pretty cool too, how ever as you have said to me before Rock, they stole a lot from Firefox with that one.

have you already found out some negative/positive stuff compairing with XP ?

I heard that Windows Vista is only a transition windows and it wasn't even supposed to come out. Actually, Windows Vienna was supposed to follow XP but as far as I know Microsoft wanted to avoid the fast jump to Vienna which will only comes in 64 bits ... Vienna might come out between 2009 and 2012 👍

Either way, they totally ripped of Mac OS X. Also Vista is utter crap, filled with bugs and waaaaay too expensive! Normally Vista would be named Longhorn, but because circumstances they named it Vista now?

Well, it's not because I loath MS I'm not going to use it, but the software is too buggy and too expensive. I'll stick to Linux or Mac OS X as I'm planning on buying a Mac.

I think it's unfair to say that MS 'ripped off' anyone, when Apple themselves are fairly complacent in doing the same thing all the time--- Everyone incorporates popular elements of other things in their programming, in the industry, this is how features like "tabbed browsing" get into various browsers.

I haven't seen any of the latest releases of Vista--- I've run older betas, but most of the features were not included in them... I am fond of the newest version of Windows Media Player, and for once, its become my main app for playing music, due to its nice features and layout--- This is an element of Vista that is to be available to non-Vista users as well.

The problem with Vista is that it has basically had to have been re-written at least once, entirely from scratch... It's been plagued by delays, etcetera.... I don't even think the "Vista" name (longhorn was the 'codename', no matter what, the product would have never been named 'longhorn'), was a wise choice--- It just doesn't make you think anything very visionary--- But then again, "OSX" isn't exactly a sexy name for an operating system either.

Vista is probably a transitional operating system for Microsoft between Windows XP, and what is codenamed Windows Blackcomb... I don't know all th e details about blackcomb, but I'm imagining it will strictly be a 64bit OS, based entirely on future hardware specifications.

My issue with Vista is that it will probably be pretty resource intensive, and require a lot of hardware upgrades in order to take advantage of things like Aero Glass, which I think is renamed to something like the Windows Presentation Foundation--- But that's the case with a lot of new software, and people have always bitched about it, seemingly for ages. The other problem is that the OS will probably not do exactly what they had wanted it to do, in all aspects of features, but again, this happens with software development, especially one so complicated as an operating system.

I think, in some aspects, MS has changed a bit, in trying to find out in advance, how their software is working, and communicating with its users and its beta testers, but I still don't know if they understand how to give their users an experience that they want--- or if they are simply giving them an experience they think that they want.

I think the most important step in the future of MS is (and I am not alone in thinking this), that Bill Gates step down from any sort of creative input into the software titles, and let the younger generation dictate the future of the product he created. It's difficult, but it's best for the future of the software.

The X in OS X comes from UNIX. The name of the latest version 10.4 is called "Tiger" btw. Leopard will be the next version coming out in 2007.

They are more original than Microsoft, who waits till others release their stuff to check what they can copy.

The new WMP is indeed looking nice, that's a plus for MS.

Microsoft has been ripping off Apple for about two decades and MS's stuff is poorly made but I find Apple too annoying to deal with.

Still, it's silly to go and say "Vista is utter crap, filled with bugs..." What do you expect from a beta version?

As we all know, even if it's not a béta product, it's filled with bugs ;-) Since windows 2000 there hasn't been any good OS from MS that made me say "wow!".

Apple isn't that bad when it comes to "ripping off" others. And MS Office 2000 was the worst thing Microsoft has ever done! :mad:

i thought the "X" in OS X came from the roman numeral X. since, you know, it did follow OS 9

as for windows, i like to wait at least a year or for a service pack to come out before i use it...

They are more original than Microsoft, who waits till others release their stuff to check what they can copy.
This is why they visited Xerox Parc, and basically stole the gui system that was in early development there for their early mac systems... Windows of course, then followed suit--- I'm simply saying that MOST ideas are simply copies or improvements of other "ideas"...

If MS has something on the desktop like "Gadgets", that is similar to Apple's Dashboard, it's still relevant to know that Dashboard is a copy of Konfabulator's Widgets... which is a creation, or copy of a concept of someone else whom I forget...

I heard they have some tricks up their sleeves (MS), but Vista is undoubtedly going to be a resource hogger.

Back
Top Bottom