What's new

Anyone here affected by typhoon 21

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
Stay safe. Missed Yamaguchi Prefecture. Hit Shikoku though. Embassy is close in Temporary Closure Message of U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe, Japan

Water damage to a home here in Japan is very costly. I wonder if homeowners insurance cover typhoon damage, I know quake insurance covers a little something, but from what I've been told, its pretty much useless coverage also.

Water damage to a home here in Japan is very costly. I wonder if homeowners insurance cover typhoon damage, I know quake insurance covers a little something, but from what I've been told, its pretty much useless coverage also.
Damages due to floods, torrential rains, and landslides seem to be compensated for by fire insurance.
洪水・集中豪雨・土砂崩れによる損害 | 損保ジャパン日本興亜
Relief treatment by natural disaster can be received from government, local government, financial institution.
最大で税金が全額免除!?災害被害時に使える雑損控除と災害減免法ってなに? - 節税や実務に役立つ専門家が監修するハウツー - 税理士ドットコム
Japan Housing Finance Agency (JHF)
地震、津波、噴火、暴風雨又は洪水により被災された方への返済方法変更(機構(旧公庫)融資の場合):住宅金融支援機構(旧住宅金融公庫)

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I actually have insurance from Sompo. I wonder if they have their site in English, do you know?

There will be few English sites.
This site is for foreign victims in Sapporo city.
City of Sapporo
It is a telephone consultation window for foreign victims of the Hokkaido agency.
国際課トップページ | 総合政策部国際局国際課

"As a response to the earthquake and large scale blackout occurring on September 6, Heisei 30, we set up a consultation window for foreigners staying in Hokkaido within the international department as follows.
· Telephone number: 011-204-5937, 011-204-5092
· Supported languages: English, Chinese (Mandarin), Korean
Weekdays 8: 45 ~ 17: 30

"
It is best to consult with the nearest local government office.
Procedures are required for municipalities to issue damage certificate documents.
Try calling for Japanese volunteers who can speak English to local governments.

It is preferable to make your requests itemized in order of priority.
Proof of damage is necessary for fire insurance and notification to financial institutions.
There are two kinds of damage evidence.
罹災証明書(り災証明書)"Risai shoumei"
被災証明"Hisai shoumei"
sample
(Please check with your local government as the format differs for each local government.)
り災証明書・被災証明書 | 東金市

Other assistance that victims can receive.

Notifications and certificates are required for NHK reception fee and utility fee exemption.
北海道地震についての支援通信に関するトピックス:朝日新聞デジタル

Despite the predictions for damage, Hokkaido got only the normal moderate rain. I was pleasantly surprised.

Back
Top Bottom