What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Question Anybody purchased something on Amazon Japan with American debit card before?

panlanc

後輩
Reaction score
When I made an account and tried to make my first purchase, it froze my account and asked me to send some stuff with my info to verify that it's me.
And when I did that, they kept sending rejection emails to me, and after multiple tries, they just decided to close the account.

Does this kind of thing happen often?

I found this:

"You will be normally asked to provide a bank account statement and yours showing no transaction history may have raised concerns."

"I still think it’s because they can’t cope with new influx of sellers and just suspend non-Japanese residential new accounts."

Hello,

I have started opening my Japanese account beg of May and I just been reactivated few days ago!

As everyone I have been suspended few minutes after I created my account, They have asked me to provide an utility bill and a business licence (If applicable).

At first I sent out an utility bill and a my business registration paper, but it has been rejected within few days. Exact same thing happen to the creation of my Australian account at the same time.

Then I look deeper on my documents and all my infos appearing on my seller central. I made a few changes (bank account, business name, contact name) so that everything is matching perfectly. And I resubmitted everything.

Few days after my Australian account has been re-activated! But Japan rejected my submission… (exact same docs sent to both)

So I started to chase all the minor differences between my docs and the seller central, I found that on my utility bill, there is a line on my address like “building XXX floor XX”, in general I don’t have this mention on my address, it’s purely optional. So I contacted my internet service provider and ask them to remove this line from my utility bill. I waited 2 weeks for the next utility bill and resubmitted everything.

Few days after, rejected again… I looked again at my utility bill and noticed that my title (M.) is appearing before my name. So I was like; ok maybe title doesn’t exist that way in Japanese I better have to make it removed. So I contacted my internet service provider again and harassed them so they remove my title from my utility bill and also amend my current utility bill so I don’t have to wait one month for the next… And I submitted again everything…

Few days after, rejected again… I started to desperate… I looked again at my utility bill and found out that it’s not obvious that it is an internet service bill, there is only a small mention “fiber box”. Of course If I show it to someone from my country (France) he will say it is an internet service bill but for a non-french native, you have to be good at french and read it carefully. So I have waited for my next electricity bill, luckily it came few weeks after (one bill per year!). Then I had to contact my electricity provider so they “clean” my address (no optional mention, no title, etc.) and then resubmitted everything.

Few days after, they reactivated my account 🙂

So my advice is keep trying! And Read this carefully: Amazon Sign-In 14

I know there is a debate around the debit card not being a valid charge method, but for what it’s worth, I’m using a debit card from transferwise for my 3 account (EU, Japan and Australia) and it works.

Last edited:

Petaris

Sailing away...
Donor
Reaction score
Can your debit card be processed as Credit by them? I used my debit card but it can be processed as credit which is how I entered it. It worked just fine for me. The article that you linked seems to be about "seller" accounts, I don't think that is related to what you are trying to do which is just buy things.

panlanc

後輩
Reaction score
I don't think debit or credit matters. When did you create your Amazon account? Maybe their policy changed recently?

Weo

Kouhai
Reaction score
I have a japanese Amazon account but I never had that problem (they never asked me to verify)

I also check on internet about that in some spanish websites but it doesn't seem to be a problem here with creating a Japanese account. It doesn't matter if it's a credit or debit card, it's supposed to work properly in both cases 🤷‍♂️

Petaris

Sailing away...
Donor
Reaction score
I don't think debit or credit matters. When did you create your Amazon account? Maybe their policy changed recently?
It was a couple of years ago. Maybe 2017 in the summer?

Top Bottom