What's new

Any one here collect old Japanese money

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
A church friend of mine got this money way back when and is wondering how much it would be worth. He is keeping one and sending me the other one. But I'm not a collectable type person so once I receive it, yes, I'll sell it. He already said I don't have to keep it.

As you notice they are in good shape. I'll be showing him this link for he'll get an idea what one is worth.

the bills are from 1976

Here is the picture.

Japanese money.jpg

Unfortunately they are not worth much.
Hell of a beard though!

I bought home a bunch of yen in 73 and gave it to friends and relatives as oddities. Still have some in storage.

Last edited:
Just FYI, I had a BUNCH of old bills - some dating back to the 1800s, and I sold them on an auction site... I barely got face value for them - and I think I probably lost money after transaction and shipping costs). One lot I was trying to sell was a lot of 25 five-hundred yen notes. I started the auction at less than face value, and I still couldn't get any buyers. I ended up taking to the bank and exchanging them for full value.

There were just too many of these in circulation, and everyone who owns one has access to ebay and yahoo, etc... so it is tough to get much more than face value for these.

(If the printing number is all the same number - all zeros, for example - you can get a good price for them, but garden variety notes don't get good prices).

Anyway, that was my experience. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

Just FYI, I had a BUNCH of old bills - some dating back to the 1800s, and I sold them on an auction site... I barely got face value for them - and I think I probably lost money after transaction and shipping costs). One lot I was trying to sell was a lot of 25 five-hundred yen notes. I started the auction at less than face value, and I still couldn't get any buyers. I ended up taking to the bank and exchanging them for full value.

There were just too many of these in circulation, and everyone who owns one has access to ebay and yahoo, etc... so it is tough to get much more than face value for these.

(If the printing number is all the same number - all zeros, for example - you can get a good price for them, but garden variety notes don't get good prices).

Anyway, that was my experience. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.
Saw a program on TV a few weeks ago and they had some some tarento competing to go through thousands of coins looking for various special ones. Turns out there's a whole list of specific dates and coins with specific features, some not even that all that old. So it's not unlikely you may have one or two. But even then the "valuable" ones were only worth 5x face value (ie 50Y for a 10Y coin). So it's only worth looking through your coins for fun, as it's not going to fund your retirement.

I bought home a bunch of yen in 73 and gave it to friends and relatives as oddities. Still have some in storage. Back then one US dollar bought you 360 Yen.
Bretton Woods collapsed due to nixon's moves in august, 1971. The yen only strengthened from that month on.

Thru calendar '73 the yen/dollar rate fluctuated between ~300 to 280.

Bretton Woods collapsed due to nixon's moves in august, 1971. The yen only strengthened from that month on.

Thru calendar '73 the yen/dollar rate fluctuated between ~300 to 280.
I remember it was 301 at exchange at Kadena Air Base back then. Prices even seemed high back then, but our wages were really low too.

Back
Top Bottom