What's new

An interesting quote!

Aryobarzan

後輩
12 May 2003
:)
This is a quote that I've received from my friend. I found it to be interesting, and thought to share it with you guy;

"In the end, each of us will be judged by our standard of life, not by our standard of living; by a measure of giving, not by our measure of wealth; by our simple goodness, not by our seeming greatness".

Bible..Hmm. Baelieve me I do not know where my friend got it. Like I said, I got it from a very good friend of mine. If you want I can ask him where did he get that quote? or if it's his own?

Personally, I like it. It's very rich in its content and meaningful.

I hope I answered your question.

Aryobarzan

Hi Musashi,

You got it! I really like quotes, poems, and things that makes me ponder.

That is how I partly motivate myself, meet the challenges, and interrcat with the others.

How about you? What do you like?

Regards,

Aryobarzan

you'll like my quote then:)
in my signature line
it's a hindi translation of ars long vita brevis :)

ax

Antonxie,

Thank you for sharing that quote with us.

Could you translate it in English, so that we can benefit from it.

Regards,

Aryobarzan

When I abruptly broke up with my last girlfriend some time back, a friend had asked me what led me to do such a thing. My response was simply "Better the quick clean snap than the long slow bend..." Don't remember where I heard that from but i've always liked it and it's just stuck with me over the years when dealing with tempermental people, heh.

Hi all,
Just to say i love all the quotes, very insightful. I keep a personal collection myself. Here's one which i like and live by sometimes...

A small trouble is like a pebble.
Hold it too close to your eye and it puts everything out of focus.
Hold it at a proper distance and it can be examined & classified.
Throw it a your feet and it can be seen in its true setting,
just one more tiny bump on the pathway to eternity.
-Celia Luce.

Great quotes, I also keep a collection as well, here's one that I really liked:

We cannot live for ourselves,
our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads,
and along these sympathetic fibres,
our actions run as causes and return to us as results.
-- Herman Melville

i have been collecting a series of quotes recently. most of them have been rather dark but here's a few

"The scorpian asked the frog to give him a lift over the river. 'No, you shall sting me with thy tail', she replied. 'I shall not', promised he. So across the river they went, till the scorpian stung the poor frog. 'Now we both die, foolish scorpian', said the frog. 'Why did you do it?' 'I could not help it, it is my nature' was his only reply." - Author Unknown

"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives." -A. Sachs

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Author Unknown

Originally posted by Aryobarzan
"In the end, each of us will be judged by our standard of life, not by our standard of living; by a measure of giving, not by our measure of wealth; by our simple goodness, not by our seeming greatness".

In the end of what ? Judge by whom ?

If you feel the need to give wealth away to improve the goodness, I can email you my bank account number. :D

I like your quotes, dark for tears. That is really no-nonsensical. The first one reminds me of the Japanese attitude towards political corruption ; they are only humans, that is their nature. shoganai ne !

Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet.
It's a way of entering into the quiet that's already there-
buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks everyday.
-Author Unknown.

50000 versus 5%

Thanks ABF,

You know I really didn't know about 50000 thoughts a day. But I do remember that we only remeber 5% of our dreams when we wake up next day!

That was interesting , thank you.

Aryobarzan

For dark for tears

The second quote among others is very deep.

It reminds me of a very famous quote by the late Dr. Ali Shariati, an Iranian scholar who said this once "O God please guide me how to live, I'll learn how to die".

Regards,

Aryobarzan:)

Thank you Maciamo, the scorpion one is my favourite.

Aryobarzan the quote you posted is very cool. I like that. I like quotes that make you think about things.

A teacher at my old school told me this philosphical quote because I was planning on studying philosophy

"Reality is that, than which a greater cannot be achieved" It took me a while but once I thought about it I could see it was true.

Here are some more.

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration." - Pearl S. Buck

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over." - Edna St. Vincent Millay

I love this quote from Poe
"Thank Heaven! the crisis --The danger, is past, and the lingering illness, is over at last --, and the fever called "Living" is conquered at last." - Edgar Allan Poe

Back
Top Bottom