What's new

All things rice

Steff22

後輩
30 Apr 2020
My dad is obsessed with Japanese cooking as I've previously mentioned and he's wanting to learn all about rice and the different ways of cooking and recipes for different flavours, Are there any books that explain these kind of things about rice specifically and some recipes ??

You can look up dishes like 炊き込み版 (takikomi gohan, rice cooked with meat, fish, and/or vegetables), 混ぜご飯 (maze gohan, mixed rice), the various types of おにぎり and おむすび (o-nigiri and o-musubi, rice balls) and even チャーハン/炒飯 (chahan or fried rice, though this is technically Chinese food that has become a staple in Japan as well).

That said, you are aware that far and away the most common way that rice is consumed in Japan is just as plain white rice with various dishes on the side, yes?

I was just going to say... there are not that many Japanese rice dishes. It's almost always white rice served on the side of something. Because the rice is so plain there are many varieties you can buy in search of the perfect taste and texture and ease of preparation. And cooking it is almost always delegated to a rice cooker appliance of which there are many of various complexities.

You can look up dishes like 炊き込み版 (takikomi gohan, rice cooked with meat, fish, and/or vegetables), 混ぜご飯 (maze gohan, mixed rice), the various types of おにぎり and おむすび (o-nigiri and o-musubi, rice balls) and even チャーハン/炒飯 (chahan or fried rice, though this is technically Chinese food that has become a staple in Japan as well).

That said, you are aware that far and away the most common way that rice is consumed in Japan is just as plain white rice with various dishes on the side, yes?
Thank you for those recipes, I appreciate it. Yes I am aware of the plain rice with sides of meat and veg. We are currently cooking fairly good rice in a saucepan. But trying to find the reasoning behind cooking the way they do 😊 it's fascinating.

I was just going to say... there are not that many Japanese rice dishes. It's almost always white rice served on the side of something. Because the rice is so plain there are many varieties you can buy in search of the perfect taste and texture and ease of preparation. And cooking it is almost always delegated to a rice cooker appliance of which there are many of various complexities.
Could you recommend a good rice cooker that isn't going to break the bank, I had a look but there are so many out there and I've no idea which I should be looking at 😊 yes we have tried a few different types of rice.

Could you recommend a good rice cooker that isn't going to break the bank, I had a look but there are so many out there and I've no idea which I should be looking at 😊 yes we have tried a few different types of rice.
Sorry I'm not really sure. I'd check the reviews at Amazon. We have one that broke the bank. I hand carried it from Japan. It sucks out the air to cook the rice in a vacuum. I don't think it really matters for freshly cooked rice but it keeps the rice fresh so you can keep it warm and ready for a day or two. (Most Japanese cook rice for dinner making enough to eat for breakfast the next morning).

Wow I didn't know that 😊 one of those sounds great. Is there any brands I should look out for ?

The go-to rice cooker brand brand for me and most people I know has always been Zojirushi ("Mark of the Elephant").

They have models at all price points, from bank-breaking AI-fuzzy-logic-equipped beasts to more bare-bones models that basically just (perish the thought! ;) ) cook rice, and I'm pretty sure you can find them all over the world:

The go-to rice cooker brand brand for me and most people I know has always been Zojirushi ("Mark of the Elephant").

They have models at all price points, from bank-breaking AI-fuzzy-logic-equipped beasts to more bare-bones models that basically just (perish the thought! ;) ) cook rice, and I'm pretty sure you can find them all over the world:

Perfect thank you so much !! His birthday is coming up so will have to see what I can get hold of 😊 he will be thrilled

My mom has spent most of her life using the simple one button National (Panasonic) basic rice cooker. We have a Zojirushi 3 cup and Panasonic 5 cup fuzzy logic rice cooker but most of the time they're just cooking white rice or Spanish rice. Don't forget to do both curry rice and grilled rice balls :)

Back
Top Bottom