What's new

Advice for first time traveler

Trin

Kouhai
19 Sep 2015
I would very much like to visit Japan this year, or hopefully next. To be honest I want to live there, but anyway....I am looking for advice on when I do get there.
I am studying Japanese so I could probably roughly get my ideas across so I am ok on that front. I just feel like I romanticize Japan sometimes. I do know they have their share of problems, but what are the ones a tourist would face?

the question you should be asking is what are the share problem foreigner who live there would face?. As a tourist, you wont have any problem

If you really wanna know what it feel like living in Japan, i would recommend visiting for 2 or 3 month, find yourself a cheap small room. also try making connections/friends (with foreigner who already live in Japan) before going out there and get their take about living out there.

For me, after vising Japan. i cannot see myself living there, i can only see myself staying there for 3 to 6 month tops and that it for me.

Japan is very tourist friendly in the sense people won't bother you, they won't take advantage of you (not even Taxi drivers), they will try to accommodate/understand you (or perhaps ignore you). Especially if you mainly go to places where tourists typically go.
You'll have very little problems except perhaps some communication issues. If you look "foreign" a taxi driver may not stop to pick you up. That sort of thing. It's not a "problem" per se but you may make some mistakes (like walking outside the bathroom in the "bathroom slippers" or stuff like that). But you'll be gently corrected or ignored.

Once you leave the city communication will be a big problem.

ha ha, funny mdchachi. i had this business guy check me on having my slippers on after leaving the bathroom. we talk and i explain to him, in most american we where slippers around the house and bathroom.

My plan is to try and live there for a few months and see if I can even handle it. I imagine I can as I am studying Japanese and I feel I have a rough, very rough, understanding of the culture. I more worry about the visa. I want to know how a male can go to Japan and get a visa to live there. That is the tricky part. I am probably getting ahead of myself, but you got to have a dream, right?

My plan is to try and live there for a few months and see if I can even handle it. I imagine I can as I am studying Japanese and I feel I have a rough, very rough, understanding of the culture. I more worry about the visa. I want to know how a male can go to Japan and get a visa to live there. That is the tricky part. I am probably getting ahead of myself, but you got to have a dream, right?

If the purpose of your visit is to see if you would like to move here to live, then I suggest you thoroughly investigate your eligibility for a visa to live here first. Being ineligible for a visa is where most people's dreams die.

Also bear in mind that the problems tourists encounter (not only language, but being unfamiliar with the train systems, credit card acceptance, foreign exchange, etc...) are usually short-term problems. To these, the person living here will have to add problems like difficulty getting home loans, job security, residence and taxation issues, funding of retirement, separation from aging parents, etc... Many of these are problems of adulthood no matter where you live, but they can be complicated by living overseas. There are also things like loss or degradation of some legal rights, and other serious issues like how you will raise your kids if you decide to get married in Japan.
Heavy issues, for sure, but its important to realize that life in Japan is not all tea-ceremonies and zen gardens. The bright side is that despite all of the above, a lot of people manage to build quite good lives here.

Thanks for all advice. I am still a bit worried about the visa thing. How hard is it to get a visa in Japan to live there?

Japan doesn't give out visas to people who want to live here. Japan grants visas to people who a) have secured a job contract in Japan, and b) satisfy certain conditions. Possible also to come as a student or spouse. Search this site and others for more info on visa requirements. Its one of the most common topics.

Your profile says you are from "Nowhere." If that's all you are able to show Japanese immigration, I don't think they will let you in. :)
Seriously there are a variety of variables starting with where you are from and your plan. Simply visiting for up to 3 months should be easy (again, depending your nationality). I wouldn't worry too much about living there until you've visited.

Well said. I am just going to save up some money and keep studying Japanese. Once I visit, assuming I like it, I can then worry about the visa. Thanks for all of your help. One last thing, there is a place called Nowhere. Google it. :pompous:

Advice for first time traveler:

After you've met the Eloi, keep an eye open for the Morlocks.

;)

• Consider timing of the trip. Summer seriously is hot.
  • It's cool you're learning the language, definitely helps. Especially knowing travel-related vocabulary/phrases and expressions will save time and headache at the train stations.
  • Bring cash.
  • It's safe to go out at night so don't fret too much.
  • Carry tissue and wipes all time.
  • Mingle with locals.
  • Dont be afraid to ask for help.
  • Don't stay in one place for too long. So many cool awesome places outside the big cities.
  • During fireworks festivals, consider leaving early. Crowd in the train stations after big events is ridiculous.
  • Get used to showing your dong in public baths 😁

Well said. I am just going to save up some money and keep studying Japanese. Once I visit, assuming I like it, I can then worry about the visa. Thanks for all of your help. One last thing, there is a place called Nowhere. Google it. :pompous:

Depending on your circumstances, it could take you several years to establish visa eligibility. I suggest you look into sooner rather than later.

Are you a university graduate?

A few months? Depending on your nationality, you may be able to stay there for 3 months (for example, you can if you're British) without a visa.

No I am not a graduate. I am getting my real estate license at the moment. I know there is something about if you have a AA you can get into Japan as a teacher. Abroad in Japan had a video about it. Thanks for all the advice.

No I am not a graduate. I am getting my real estate license at the moment. I know there is something about if you have a AA you can get into Japan as a teacher. Abroad in Japan had a video about it. Thanks for all the advice.

I'm not familiar with two-year degrees being eligible. If you seriously contemplate moving to Japan you need to get some definitive information on what it takes to be eligible.

I will look into it. At the moment I have more pressing matters that I need to focus on. I need get moving on my real estate career so I can make more than minimum wage. I will look into it. Thank you all very much.

Back
Top Bottom