Adversative passive?

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
琴里「ー駄目よ。精霊が士道に心を開いていないと、完全には力が封印されないの」
士道「そ、そうなのか……?」
琴里「ええ。別にベタ惚れされなさいってわけじゃあないけれど、少なくとも、キスを拒まれないくらいには信頼されてないと厳しいわね。…」

Hi. Is the first red part passive form?
If so, doesn't ベタ惚れさなさい make more sense for the first red part because the intended meaning is "make 精霊 fall in love with you"?
And is the second red part adversative passive?
Thank you.

"make 精霊 fall in love with you" doesn't seem to be what's being said. The need (or not) to ベタ惚れさせる might be implied by the need (or not) to ベタ惚れされる, but only the latter is being actually said.

They all to me like both are normal passives. The first means it's not being demanded that Shidou be deeply loved by the 精霊.
The second (& third - 信頼されて) passives mean it is at least necessary that he is believed in enough that his kisses aren't refused.

Is the first red part passive form?
If so, doesn't ベタ惚れさなさい make more sense for the first red part because the intended meaning is "make 精霊 fall in love with you"?
The intended meaning is 精霊 falls in love with you voluntarily, not forced.

And is the second red part adversative passive?
It's possessor's passive(持主受身). Thus, it's indeed an indirect passive(間接受身), not a direct passive(直接受身), but indirect passives don't always have an adversative nuance.
e.g.
active voice
精霊が(士道の)キスを拒む。

direct passive
(士道の)キス精霊に拒まれる。

possessor's passive
(士道/)キス精霊に拒まれる。

an example where a possessor's passive doesn't have an adversative nuance
精霊が(士道の)キスを褒める。 --> (士道は/が)キスを精霊に褒められる。

Thank you, Toritoribe-san. I see.
ベタ惚れされなさい
It's the first time that I have seen なさい attached to passive form so I get a bit confused. So the complete version of the above is 士道は精霊にベタ惚れされなさい, right?

It's the first time that I have seen なさい attached to passive form so I get a bit confused.
Have you never seen passive imperatives like "犬にでも食われろ!" or "とっととやられろ!"? ベタ惚れされなさい is just a soft version of it.

So the complete version of the above is 士道は精霊にベタ惚れされなさい, right?
士道 is the addressee/the one who is ordered, so に can't be used for him. You don't say お前はどこかに行け, right?

Thank you again.
Have you never seen passive imperatives like "犬にでも食われろ!" or "とっととやられろ!"? ベタ惚れされなさい is just a soft version of it.
I haven't see it. Could you please be more detailed about passive imperatives? I still can't make sense of it.
士道 is the addressee/the one who is ordered, so に can't be used for him. You don't say お前はどこかに行け, right?
Oh. So the expanded version is 精霊にベタ惚れされなさい?

I haven't see it. Could you please be more detailed about passive imperatives? I still can't make sense of it.
It's the same as usual imperative. The speaker orders the addressee to be eaten by a dog(犬に食われろ), or to be defeated by the speaker/someone(やられろ).

So the expanded version is 精霊にベタ惚れされなさい?
Yes.

50B71900-BEFA-4903-8205-EBD92E927F6F.jpeg

Hi. Could you have a look at this example?
Is the underlined part passive form (i.e. the answered was obtained)? Would active form also work here (i.e. 答えを得た)?
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom