What's new

Adjective/noun + の

Dante17

先輩
3 Dec 2013
So, I've been learning about how using the pronoun の to essentially repeat a noun without actually saying it, to avoid repetition. ( I've attached a picture of the page, just in case I'm not explaining it too well. )

uhegu7ys-1.jpg

So, I've applied this knowledge and complete some questions and answers in my workbook below and would really appreciate them marked. Thanks :)

zeny2uma-1.jpg

( I apologise for not typing them out but I'm in a hurry ^\^' . Oh, and sorry if my handwriting is bad, also >\< )

You should really start posting your pictures with the right side up :)

1. In a spoken conversation, you could indeed use これ/それ while pointing to Mary's shirt, but in this written exercise you should say "the white/black one" or "the one on the left/right". Also don't forget the ー in メアリー.
2. Correct.
3. Sounds like "It belongs to that short (person)"... Better reformulate it as "It's the short/long one", or "The short/long one is Mary's".
4. Should be たけしさんの, not たけしさのの.

Also of note: even though the textbook uses it, it would be wise to avoid using the word パンツ in practice - its main meaning is underpants (like the British "pants" as opposed to the American one). To refer to regular trousers, it's better to use ズボン.

Sorry about the pics :p

With the first one, I was going to say the colour of the clothing, but I felt that it would mess up the whole rule of the nouns and how they work by omitting te second noun if I threw an adjective like white or black into the mix of the method the book is teaching me. How exactly would I word the first one?

Also, for the third one how would I word that without directly repeating the noun? Surely that'd lead to ' あのみじかいののです ' ? As の means one in this case?

Last edited:
Nevermind, looks I forgot that you can use の in this way for adjectives as well ☝. Then the third sentence is correct after all, and you can use a similar construct for the first one. Looks like I also (re)learned something today.

Oh right :) so just to clarify, for the first one I could say ' あのしろいのはメアリーさんのです。or am I wording it in a weird way? Also, does 3 still sound like ' it belongs to that short (person) as you described previously?

1)
Look the answer of 2. It just says "Takeshi's" and not mentions "this black shirt". Thus, what you don't need to mention in the answer of 1 is...?

That it's Mary's? :) so I'd just say something like ' そのしろいのです。' ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom