What's new

About The usage of the word ' beloved '

Quaintant

後輩
20 Jul 2007
I have three daughters.
Of course I ( and my wife ) love them all.
Now I have a gift for one of them and am going to write a phrase on it.
To my beloved xxx( my daughter's name )
I am using this word 'beloved ' as my loving xxx
Is this usage of the word apt or suitable in English ?
Please tell me.

'Beloved' is almost like an intransitive, the person doing the loving is not immediately known. Beloved just means that someone, somewhere loves them. Of course, through context we quickly discover the individual, in this case its YOU because you're giving your daughter a present.

Other examples.. at weddings or in church ceremonies the leader of the ceremony may say 'Dearly beloved.. we are gathered here today.." indicating that everyone here is loved by someone.. friends, family, and as always, God.

In this situation, the subject can be referred to directly by name, 'my beloved xxx' or you can say 'my beloved daughter xxx'. Both sound okay to me.

The use of the word Beloved in the context you wish to use it is not only correct but is a more personnal way of saying something to someone.
Having a daughter of my own, my wife and I do occasionly refer to her as 'Our beloved daughter xxxxx ' when we give her presents.

Yes, that sounds right - "To my beloved (name)" or "To my beloved daughter".

a warning: just saying beloved alone has a connotation of wife or otherwise close partner. you should specify daughter or person receiving.

Back
Top Bottom